• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doomed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doomed?

Anyone got any anecdotal evidence of the downturn?

A friend of mine has sold his flat in Bristol. Took 2 weeks to get a buyer, and buyer offered full asking price.

Went shopping this weekend and I've never seen it so busy, couldn't even find a parking space, the shops were heaving with shoppers.

Sister-in-law has just put a deposit down on a new build 6 bedroomed "executive" house. Developer would not budge on price at all and 60% of the properties have sold already (they are not completed until March 2009).

Boomed as far as I can see.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    No.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
      No.
      And Morrisons's unleaded was 112.9p this morning. All hype, I tell ya. SASguru will not be pleased, he's been looking forward to armageddon for years.
      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
        And Morrisons's unleaded was 112.9p this morning. All hype, I tell ya. SASguru will not be pleased, he's been looking forward to armageddon for years.
        Gordon will be pleased. This means the 2p increase on Duty can go ahead as planned.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
          Aye and according to BBC News:

Sainsbury's said it would look to match its rivals in local areas, and offer an extra 5p off per litre for customers who spend £50 or more on food in store.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

A friend of mine has sold his flat in Bristol. Took 2 weeks to get a buyer, and buyer offered full asking price.

Went shopping this weekend and I've never seen it so busy, couldn't even find a parking space, the shops were heaving with shoppers.

Sister-in-law has just put a deposit down on a new build 6 bedroomed "executive" house. Developer would not budge on price at all and 60% of the properties have sold already (they are not completed until March 2009).

Boomed as far as I can see.
            Boomed = Doomed. DOOMED

Daily mail to the rescue: House prices could fall 30% in biggest crash ever seen in Britain, key Bank of England member warns

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Daily mail to the rescue
              Thank Christ for that, we certainly don't want any good news

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Bah. What do the Bank of England know about finances?

Oh, wait...

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
                  Bah. What do the Bank of England know about finances?

Oh, wait...
                  David Blanchflower know about house prices

Not a lot, he is a labour economist.

The 30% drop is a rip-off of Meredith Whitney report that, based on the Case-shiller housing index futures on the CME, there will be a 33% drop in US house prices from the peak.

BTW, She is a bit tasty link:Bloomberg SFW
                  Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 22 July 2008, 09:55.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Booomed!

"Sales boom in West End as weak pound lures tourists"

The West End is in the grip of an extraordinary summer spending boom that has defied predictions of a credit-crunch slump.

Retail sales last month in central London were 8.7 per cent higher last month than in June last year as bargain-hunting European tourists lured by the weak pound "inundated" the capital, according to official figures out today.

Upmarket stores seem to have benefitted most with Selfridges ending its summer sale two weeks early and Fortnum & Mason reporting a 53 per cent increase in takings last month.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...sts/article.do

I can confirm the shops were very busy at the weekend, most of the sale items had gone too.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X