• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

E=mc2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E=mc2

Hang on a minute! C is a constant! So how can it be true? In what units is it true? There is no relationship between definitions of mass and energy in any system so if E=mC^2 in any of them it must be coincidence. E=km maybe. Bleedin obvious that is! My granny could have come up with that!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

c is m/s and mass is kg say, so m c^2 is kg m^2/s^2. Now force is mass times acceleration according to Newton 2 which is kg m/s^2, so force times distance which is work and so energy is kg m^2/s^2 so the units match.

I will explain the correspondence between the curvature of space time and gravity shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky
      c is m/s and mass is kg say, so m c^2 is kg m^2/s^2. Now force is mass times acceleration according to Newton 2 which is kg m/s^2, so force times distance which is work and so energy is kg m^2/s^2 so the units match.

I will explain the correspondence between the curvature of space time and gravity shortly.

So, If I drive at you at a constant speed, you won't feel a thing...

Comment

The gram, second and meter are arbitrary units, measurements from some dead French tart's anatomy I daresay. Yes, I know the joule is defined in terms of these basic units, I am (or was) a chemical engineer. But how the energy by total conversion of one gram comes out to exactly C^2 joules, I have no idea. I think AE made it up as an April fool's joke. As nobody can actually acheive a total conversion who can check?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

You can check. Pop a thermo-nuclear device into your rucksack and make a cosmic mushroom.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod
            So, If I drive at you at a constant speed, you won't feel a thing...
            It's not the driving but the collision: transfer of momentum mv in time delta t.

http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/physics/mom/node2.html

Comment

fundamental formulas

I like Euler's formula :

e^(i pi) + 1 = 0

This links the 5 fundamental constants in mathematics : e, i, pi, 0 and 1.

Comment

I don't - it's rubbish

Comment

Originally posted by GiGo
                  It's not the driving but the collision: transfer of momentum mv in time delta t.

http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/physics/mom/node2.html
                  So, if a fly travelling due south hits a car travelling due north, the fly changes direction from South to North. Therefore the fly must rapidly decellerate and then accellerate in the opposite direction. This means that the fly at one stage must be stationary and as the car is attached to the fly's bollox, the car is stationary also. Ergo, a fly can stop a car.

Comment

I prefer: e^(i pi) = -1
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X