• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Housing market doomed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Housing market doomed!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ions-soar.html

The number of homes sold has halved in a year, according to official figures issued yesterday.

Coming alongside evidence of the soaring number of repossessions, the news lays bare the extent of the meltdown in the housing market.

Separate figures, from the auction experts Essential Information Group, reveal that the number of repossessed properties coming up for sale in auction houses has rocketed nearly 300 per cent in three years.

Between January and June, 3,115 repossessed homes went under the hammer in Britain, compared with just 799 in the same period during 2005.

The scale of the increase is extraordinary, with the numbers soaring 66 per cent over the last year alone from just 1,873 in 2007.

Experts have been warning that repossessions will soar but this is the first concrete evidence.

Other figures, published yesterday by the National Association of Estate Agents, confirm the crisis facing anyone who needs to sell their home, particularly if they are in a rush.

Last month, estate agents sold an average of just six homes, which has more than halved from an average of 13 in the same month last year. One estate agent from the North East described the first half of this year as 'a complete disaster', adding: 'I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.'

One from Devon said: 'Transactions are down around 60 per cent which has sent shivers down the spine.'

excellent news.

Comment

A young couple have just came to view the house for sale next door...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Six homes...so still dong well on the commission side then? The way the media goes on about it you'd think nobody was buying.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

breaking doom

this doom just in.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/arti...Tkr/GetContent

Mortgage approvals for house purchases dived by more than two thirds in June from a year ago to hit a fresh record low of 21,118, the British Bankers' Association said on Wednesday.

The annual fall was the biggest since the series began in September 1997 and indicates the downturn in the housing market is accelerating.
          The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Separate figures, from the auction experts Essential Information Group, reveal that the number of repossessed properties coming up for sale in auction houses has rocketed nearly 300 per cent in three years.

More bargains for me then.
            "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

The auction that I watch, that previously sold around 70% of lots, some at 50% over guide, sold just 25% last week - only one (slightly) over the guide price.

Unless people are prepared to take less money, I don't think it's going to get better in a hurry.

tim

Comment

Prices don't particularly seem to be dropping around here, but there are several new build estates just completed which do not seem to be selling. I wonder if they can be picked up for a bargain price since the owners will have spent £millions and might be desperate to sell.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Even the top end of the market is going south.

This place has to be marketed using the '1 quid off the round figure' ploy.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Question must be: who in their right mind is now buying when they could get the same place for cheaper next year....?

Comment

Working...
                    X