• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another BT rant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another BT rant

Last year on moving house I had a nightmare encounter with BT about the broadband line. Literally hours on the phone on hold, shuffled from one 1st-line support person to another with the same script, cut off often (How to keep your call stats up. Dogbert support line, anyone?) and more and more.

I swore that the next time that happened I would:
    1. work around the problem. AFAIK 3G cards are making that more and more practicable.
    2. Conduct my exchanges with them by post.

Of course, they have the paying customer over a barrel. I got the usual assurances that my line was working OK. When I got proof that it wasn't (partly thanks to Technical on here), they agreed to send an engineer, with the threat that if he found nothing I would be charged.

So I had to do their testing for them, with a penalty if I got it wrong. That's the wrong way round.

I was a happy man when I ditched BT in favour of Virgin Media. Although not perfect, they are miles better.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
      I was a happy man when I ditched BT in favour of Virgin Media. Although not perfect, they are miles better.
      Although when I had a phone fault, the nice Indian person told me if they came out and there wasn't a fault or it was with my equipment I'd have to pay £30.

So you can't win.
      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

You head one of them letters they're sending out yet?
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
          Although when I had a phone fault, the nice Indian person told me if they came out and there wasn't a fault or it was with my equipment I'd have to pay £30.

So you can't win.
          So if it had been a jock telling you you had to pay £30 that would have been ok?

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            So if it had been a jock telling you you had to pay £30 that would have been ok?
            As a jock myself, I find the idea of paying £30 for anything abhorrent.
            Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Partner pays phone bill and has made the mistake of using bt-supplied email address, so rejected my suggestion to change provider.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                As a jock myself, I find the idea of paying £30 for anything abhorrent.
                Shh, don't go perpetuating the national stereotype - we get enough tulip for that as it is.

Comment

Oh Oh. I had a problem with the tinternet the other day and phoned BT to report a fault. It did an automated line check and agreed with me that yep, there was a fault and it logged a call for me. No human interaction at all. Turns out that the fault isn't BT's, but Skys. However, the automated BT thing was the one that said there was a fault and arranged the engineer. I can see me having fun with this.
                  "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

I use O2 and their support has been free whenever I needed it and also first class. They are less than half the cost of my previous provider, faster, more reliable, and therefore I highly recommend them.

Comment

Working...
                    X