• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents asking for references :(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents asking for references :(

Hello!

Been lurking since my first contract (9 months ago) so I thought its time to register and say hello

Aaaaanyway, just got back from hols 2 weeks ago, slapped my CV online (yuk!), and seem to be getting loads of agents asking for references BEFORE submitting CV. Now this is a very old trick and used to happen occasionally, but now it's like every day! Press them and they will give up the company name, but it must still be bull$hit.

Surely this isnt standard practice with employers now?

Sign of the times?

Originally posted by NastyNick View Post
    Sign of the times?
    Yes, tell us something we don't know.

(You weren't expecting a friendly welcome on this site were you?)

Comment

Just tell them you'll take references to the interview they ARRANGE for you so you can give them directly to the client.

Be prepared not to get the interviews though since they wont exist.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by NastyNick View Post
        Hello!

Been lurking since my first contract (9 months ago) so I thought its time to register and say hello

Aaaaanyway, just got back from hols 2 weeks ago, slapped my CV online (yuk!), and seem to be getting loads of agents asking for references BEFORE submitting CV. Now this is a very old trick and used to happen occasionally, but now it's like every day! Press them and they will give up the company name, but it must still be bull$hit.

Surely this isnt standard practice with employers now?

Sign of the times?
        I've been in this IT business since the mid to early 1990s and I've seen and experienced every single agent trick in the book and this is one of them. Refuse quickly and politely and move on.

Comment

Never give references to agents. They're fishing and there is no job for you as you probably already know. There may be an exception where security clearence is needed, but then you will already have secured the role and will be given official forms etc.

Comment

Us ethe usual answers we give here.

Tell them you have signed a confidentiality agreement or something.
            As above, agree to give refs once interview agreed.

If they say that conduct of agency regs requires them to confirm your quals and refs then tell them that your Ltd co (assuming you have one) has done all the necessary checks and warrants that they are all OK and agrees to indemnify the agent against any costs arising.
            Or simply agree opt out subject to contract being acceptable.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Did you get thrown out of Big Brother 1?
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

When there are fewer real jobs, the volume of agents cold calls rises dramatically. It a good market indicator imo
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                X