• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daily Doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Doom

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...gh-street.html

Consumer spending fell by a record amount last month as the credit crunch continued to hit the public's willingness to splash out on the high street.

Retail sales slumped 3.9 per cent between May and June, the biggest fall since records began in January 1986, according to new figures from the Office for National Statistics.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ate-1950s.html

Four out of ten homebuyers in some areas are pulling out of sales after losing their nerve or failing to get a mortgage, the Bank of England said yesterday.

The soaring cancellation rate - when buyers put in an offer but then back out - illustrates the dire state of the property market.

In a monthly report, the Bank said: 'In the market for established homes, more transactions were falling through, with some estate agents reporting a cancellation rate of up to 40 per cent recently.

'That was partly due to the unwillingness of many sellers to accept a lower offer.'

The report, entitled Agents' Summary of Business Conditions, also said large numbers of buyers were having mortgage offers withdrawn.

Others simply got cold feet at a time of warnings that prices could plunge up to 35 per cent in the next two years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7522991.stm

The French car manufacturer Renault is going to cut its European workforce by 5,000 through voluntary redundancies.

The company said the plan was prompted by the deteriorating economic outlook.

It said this "far exceeded the worst-case scenarios envisaged" when it started a profit recovery plan two years ago.

Renault, the sixth largest car maker in Europe, said it was now scaling back its production targets because of weak sales in Spain, Italy and the UK.

Good to see AtW's legacy of highlighting the relevant bit lives on.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      Good to see AtW's legacy of highlighting the relevant bit lives on.
      Yeah, but it's not the same without his valuable insight into how to solve the problem.

[AtW Comment: This could be fixed by hard labour for David Beckam and Currency Speculators]

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Yeah, but it's not the same without his valuable insight into how to solve the problem.

[AtW Comment: This could be fixed by hard labour for David Beckam and Currency Speculators]
        DimPrawn says : Good point! Serves the Labour voting public right. All your houses belong to me.

Comment

A bit of Doom and Gloom is good with regard to consumer spending. It could mean lower interest rates before long!! Every cloud has a silver lining.

Comment

I reckon interest rates are going to be cut next month, 1/2 percent.

However, don't expect mortgage rates to follow!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              I reckon interest rates are going to be cut next month, 1/2 percent
              I think they'd love to cut them but will Sterling be able to handle it ? I think they've got nowhere to go and it's time to take the pain.

Comment

Speculants! Do not lower interest rates. I intend to take my hard-earned pounds and spend them elsewhere so such a move would cause me no end of grief.
                Interest rates must rise.
                Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
                  Speculants! Do not lower interest rates. I intend to take my hard-earned pounds and spend them elsewhere so such a move would cause me no end of grief.
                  Interest rates must rise.
                  They really should rise, but alas, the government are more concerned with keeping the bubble going until election time, hence they will fall.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    They really should rise, but alas, the government are more concerned with keeping the bubble going until election time, hence they will fall.
                    Aye, this is true. We are big time fracked with no way out because of image of nuLiebore is more important than the economy.

Point of order. We all know, except Atw, that 'speculant' is not a proper word, but if it were; wouldn't it be the thing be speculated about not the one doing the speculation?

Anyway, the CFTC said it wasn't their fault on Tuesday.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X