• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT query

Hi Guys

I have been told by Badenoch & Clarke the following :

I need to register for VAT , why ?

My ltd's gross won't be over £30,00.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mor4; 24 July 2008, 11:08.

Originally posted by Mor4 View Post
    Hi Guys

I have been told by Badenoch & Clarke the following :

I need to register for VAT , why ?

My ltd's won't be over £30,00.

Thanks

Ok and again in English.

You don't need to register for VAT unless you earn over the threashold (somewhere north £60k afaik).

Comment

The current threshold is £67,000, however it can be worth registering even if you are under this as you can join the Flat Rate Scheme which would save you a nice sum.

The saving would depend on what it is you do, however if you are in IT, then the saving would be 3.4% in year 1, so say £1700 on a £50K turnover.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
        The current threshold is £67,000, however it can be worth registering even if you are under this as you can join the Flat Rate Scheme which would save you a nice sum.

The saving would depend on what it is you do, however if you are in IT, then the saving would be 3.4% in year 1, so say £1700 on a £50K turnover.

Alan
        so it would be worth it ?

how much would i save on £30k turnover.

Comment

Originally posted by Mor4 View Post
          so it would be worth it ?

how much would i save on £30k turnover.
          Get a calculator and try 30000 * 0.034 !

Comment

Sorry for being stupid lol

One final question :

Will i have to pay vat on my turnover ?

Thank you for your help

Comment

The way it works is like this:

You invoice the client at £2,500 per month plus VAT at 17.5% - so your invoice total is £2,500 + £437.50 = £2,937.50

You pay VAT to the VAT man at the rate of 12% (in year 1 and 13% thereafter) of the invoice total (i.e. the £2,937.50). So you pay him 0.12 * 2,937.50 = £352.50

So you're left with £2,937.50 - £352.50 = £2,585.00

So you're £85 on a £2,500 invoice better off than you would be if you didn't charge VAT.

Comment

Thank you

Thanks Hex !!!!!

Comment

You should consider though how being VAT registered might affect your customers and your competitiveness becuase once you are VAT registered your prices go up by 17.5%.

If your customers are all businesses that are VAT registered they won't care because they simply reclaim any VAT they pay.

If your customers are the public then it means you prices become 17.5% higher overnight.

Comment

In most cases, being on the flat rate scheme is of financial benefit to the contractor. However, you should note that any vat you incur on your purchases cannot be reclaimed under this scheme. With the exception of capital purchases in excess of £2000 inc VAT.

Comment

Working...
                    X