• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice sought on selling a car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice sought on selling a car

Selling a car. It is due a major service and cambelt change and the aircon needs re-gassing.

Question: Do I get everything up to scratch (will cost nearly £1000) and then sell or ask top price and discount the car when questioned on these items and save time and hassle?

Please stay on topic.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Selling a car. It is due a major service and cambelt change and the aircon needs re-gassing.

Question: Do I get everything up to scratch (will cost nearly £1000) and then sell or ask top price and discount the car when questioned on these items and save time and hassle?

Please stay on topic.
    Have no real experience doing this but I would fork out the £1000 and then ask top price emphasising the work done on the car recently. From a sellers point of view most people want the least hassle option imo.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      Have no real experience doing this but I would fork out the £1000 and then ask top price emphasising the work done on the car recently. From a sellers point of view most people want the least hassle option imo.
      Well done for sticking to the topic.

However, buyers also like the idea that the car is £1000 cheaper than others for sale, and might not even notice the imminent service and cam belt issue.

What would Jesus do?

Comment

Faced with a similar looming bill, I traded my Scooby in.

If I was you, I'd do as you suggest - advertise it but expect to take a hit if anyone spots what is needed. Whenever I've tried the other route I never seem to get the money back.

Comment

However, buyers also like the idea that the car is £1000 cheaper than others for sale, and might not even notice the imminent service and cam belt issue.

What would Jesus do?
          If you pull the wool over a buyers eyes won't you end up with no end of hassle when they ring you up, phone watchdog etc?

Jesus would likely give the car away. However he would also make you feel so guilty about the environment at the same time you would sacrifice it at the nearest tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            Faced with a similar looming bill, I traded my Scooby in.

If I was you, I'd do as you suggest - advertise it but expect to take a hit if anyone spots what is needed. Whenever I've tried the other route I never seem to get the money back.
            That was my suspicion. I fork out £1000 and no one wants to buy it or expects a big price cut.

In otherwords, hope someone stupid comes calling.

Comment

What would Jesus do?
              He's probably do some amazing stuff with bread and fish.

I don't think he'd get it serviced though. The prospective buyer may not even ask about the cambelt.

Rhubarb.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                If you pull the wool over a buyers eyes won't you end up with no end of hassle when they ring you up, phone watchdog etc?

Jesus would likely give the car away. However he would also make you feel so guilty about the environment at the same time you would sacrifice it at the nearest tip.
                I wouldn't pull the wool. If anyone asks about the patchy service history I'd be honest, same if they pointed out the cambelt needs changing. But if they just offer me a good price, I'm not going to tell them.

Anyway it's a private sale, so "sold as seen".

Comment

Depending on your next move, a trade-in may be the best way forward. I plan to trade in my Mk VI Golf turbo when I need to change cars later this year. I'm not going to cry over the fact that I might get £500 less for it - the lack of hassle is is more important.

Comment

That was my suspicion. I fork out £1000 and no one wants to buy it or expects a big price cut.
                    Depends on the value of the car IMO. If the £1K is a noticable chunk then you'll never get the cash back. If the car is a contractor special then maybe.

In otherwords, hope someone stupid comes calling.
                    Well, it is Swindon

Comment

Working...
                    X