• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Independance Day (the movie) - how tulip?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Independance Day (the movie) - how tulip?

I was just sitting back thinking of this today, but I think I've identified a few flaws in this movie:-

1. The aliens are supposedly a superior race in terms of evolution, yet none of their ships had firewalls installed.

2. Their operating systems use TCP/IP enabling humans to upload a software virus.

3. They had no antivirus installed?

4. The speed at which the virus uploaded was quite slow, suggesting they had technology no better than a 28.8k dial-up modem?

Conclusion - given the fact they had no real structured concept of their IT systems, is it no real surprise that when they ended up with a divide by 0 error, it caused the entire mothership to just f**king blow up nuclear bomb style?

P.S. anyone seen the new die hard movie? Wtf!??? Why do movies with computers in dissapoint so much.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

I have noticed some flaws in your spelling:

independence

disappoint

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Apologies for that, I'm normally quite aware of my spelling as well!

Comment

Why do computers in the movies have displays that act like teletypes?
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Independence day - 1996 film. Is this a time warp? ( Should we do it again? ).
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Anybody else noticed the URL for this thread?

Hint: tulip doesn't come out as tulip up there

Comment

Should read s**t, but the system changes it.

Comment

Sheesh who cares.....

Jeff Goldblum is hot and so is Will Smith... I didn't even notice the computers
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

They were smugly using Linux until they got undone.
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                    2. Their operating systems use TCP/IP enabling humans to upload a software virus.
                    How do you know they were using TCP/IP?
                    IIRC the alien attack craft is re programmed with the virus and then that passes it on when it docks in the mother ship.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X