• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

driving to Birmingham airport.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driving to Birmingham airport.

Anyone know the usual traffic situation on M6-M42 to BHX on Monday mornings, say at 6:00 - 6:30? I'm coming from M1 and looking at BHX vs LHR.

The latter I know: Mappy/Satnav says 1:03 from my house to there but they don't know tulip, it's 1:30 expected, 2:00 safe(ish). They say 1:30 from me to BHX, want to know if Real Life Traffic Conditions have already kicked in by that time.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    Anyone know the usual traffic situation on M6-M42 to BHX on Monday mornings, say at 6:00 - 6:30? I'm coming from M1 and looking at BHX vs LHR.

The latter I know: Mappy/Satnav says 1:03 from my house to there but they don't know tulip, it's 1:30 expected, 2:00 safe(ish). They say 1:30 from me to BHX, want to know if Real Life Traffic Conditions have already kicked in by that time.
    Not sure what it's like at that time, but the Active Traffic Management on the M42 at busy periods actually works (believe it or not), and keeps things running smoothly, even if only at 30 - 50mph. Well, that's what I've found whenever I've been on there at peak times (usually Friday evening rush hour).

Comment

Think there is a 50mph limit on M(A)42 near the M6 Junction at the moment due to roadworks; it's enforced with average speed cameras!
      B00med!

Comment

If you are coming from the M1 and you are turning onto the M42 to get to BHX then you will hit a queue. I used to go the other way in the mornings, past BHX and use M42. Southbound queues at 07:45 on a good Monday only stretched to Tamworth/A5. On a bad day, a further 5 miles.....
        Don't think 06:00 is going to be much better 'cause there are still loads of other people doing the same as you
        M40 on the other hand would be good to get to M42..

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          Normally not too bad around that time, up until around 7.00am. Schools are off at the moment so should be even quieter than usual.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
            Normally not too bad around that time, up until around 7.00am. Schools are off at the moment so should be even quieter than usual.
            Thanks. looking for longer-term, but I was indeed hoping that if I went early I'd miss the rush.

Comment

The other way (M5) is the bad one, you should be ok from the M6.

Comment

Working...
              X