• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staff paid below minimum wage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staff paid below minimum wage

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7524021.stm

This is scandalous and should be rectified immediately !!

Well that explains (at least in part) why it is such a miserable experience dining there. It's like Waggamas - love the food hate the rest of the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      Well that explains (at least in part) why it is such a miserable experience dining there. It's like Waggamas - love the food hate the rest of the experience.
      The one in Twickenham is nice.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        The one in Twickenham is nice.
        I've been to the ones in
        Bath
        Ipswich
        Portsmouth
        Guildford
        Nottingham
        and the one near Peterborough

and they were all pleasant places with reasonable food and miserable surly and slow staff.

BTW - the reason I go back is to be sociable - I don't suggest it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post

They are ethical towards the fishes. They didn't specify that they are ethical towards human beings too.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post

Why? It's in the best traditions of Thatcherite capitalism.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              You may have just answered your own question there...
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

This is common in the US where giving tips actually drives good service. In a bar I used to go to one of the girls working there told me that they get $2 per hour which is bad when it's a quiet night but on a Saturday she can easily make more than $300. It is having so much of their wage based on tips which meant they offered a good service. None of the standing at the end of the bar chatting to their mates when customers were waiting. They would ask if you wanted a beer when you got towards the bottom of the glass. This model doesn't work well in the UK because the people who do the job would have to work for their tips - plus we don't tip as much as the yanks.
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  This is common in the US where giving tips actually drives good service. In a bar I used to go to one of the girls working there told me that they get $2 per hour which is bad when it's a quiet night but on a Saturday she can easily make more than $300. It is having so much of their wage based on tips which meant they offered a good service. None of the standing at the end of the bar chatting to their mates when customers were waiting. They would ask if you wanted a beer when you got towards the bottom of the glass. This model doesn't work well in the UK because the people who do the job would have to work for their tips - plus we don't tip as much as the yanks.
                  Agreed - I doubt there's much prospect of making a good wage here even by trying hard - and in this case, the restaurant is taking all the tips and spreading them between staff to make up the wages, so if you're brilliant and the geezer you work with is a feckless slob, he still gets a share of your tips.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

You either have a minimum wage or you don't. New Lie have been saying for years that one of their great achievements is the minimum wage. This has been shown to be yet another lie.

There should also be a law that ALL tips for service go to the waiters and waitresses for whom the tips are given. I do not tip for it to go into the coffers of a greedy business.

Comment

Working...
                    X