• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wealth in UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wealth in UK

http://www.newstatesman.com/society/...british-income

Above a link to quite an interesting article detailing the breakdown of class and the emergence opf wealth in the UK as a definer of social status

Interestingly one of the definitions of "wealth" is a couple earning 60k+ with 2 kids?

I am not sure but living in a nice place in London, running a car, supporting 2 kids on 60k?

I dont think so.
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

It may come as a surprise to some of you but most people in the UK don't live in London therefore they can live quite happily and even consider themselves quite wealthy on 60k.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
      http://www.newstatesman.com/society/...british-income

Above a link to quite an interesting article detailing the breakdown of class and the emergence opf wealth in the UK as a definer of social status

Interestingly one of the definitions of "wealth" is a couple earning 60k+ with 2 kids?

I am not sure but living in a nice place in London, running a car, supporting 2 kids on 60k?

I dont think so.
      £60K each would make them comfortable-ish. I've been reading Felix Dennis' book "How to be rich" in which he states being comfortable poor as having £1M to £2M in assets....

Long way to go methinks.....

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        I suspect that when I was contracting I was in the wealthy category in this neck of the woods.

That ain't saying a lot mind...
        Sshhh... they don't like money in the Rhonda Valley boyo.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Well, there's tidy then...
          Isn't it.

Comment

It’s alright for you rich folks!

I am very, very poor. No assets to my name and no income either.
            That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

True wealth is not having a mortgage and debts but paid-off property. It gives you the flexibility to do what the hell you want to do - become a park warden if you want and spend your life outdoors.
              Anyone in the treadmill system is not rich. Anyone who needs to keep up with the Joneses is not rich. Someone on a £1 million a year with a £3 million mortgage is not rich.
              True wealth is not giving a tulipe about the stupid things most people care about.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well, there's tidy then...
                Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                Isn't it.
                See those two houses on that hill? Mine's the one in the middle.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I should be wealthy then Sas, except since having 2 young sprogs I don't bank on being a park warden just yet

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    True wealth is not having a mortgage and debts but paid-off property. It gives you the flexibility to do what the hell you want to do - become a park warden if you want and spend your life outdoors.
                    Anyone in the treadmill system is not rich. Anyone who needs to keep up with the Joneses is not rich. Someone on a £1 million a year with a £3 million mortgage is not rich.
                    True wealth is not giving a tulipe about the stupid things most people care about.
                    As painful as it is to say this - I think you might be right!!

Comment

Working...
                    X