• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Buerk wants to fit in at CUK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Buerk wants to fit in at CUK

Buerk attacks women broadcasters

Michael Buerk said it was time for society to address the problem
    Newsreader Michael Buerk has said "almost all the big jobs in broadcasting are held by women" who "decide what we see and hear".
    The former Nine O'Clock News presenter told the Radio Times: "Life is lived in accordance with women's rules" and men are now merely "sperm donors".

Buerk added that the "shift in the balance of power between the sexes" had gone too far.

"The result is men are becoming more like women," he said.

He cited Tim Henman and David Beckham as examples.

Most women aren't going to want an unemployable sperm donor loafing around and making the house look untidy

His views are to be screened in a new channel Five series Don't Get Me Started! which gives some of the UK's leading opinion-formers a chance to sound off on the issues they feel most strongly about.

He said while making the programme he "came across what I considered a very personal example of the changes that have taken place".

"Almost all the big jobs in broadcasting were held by women - the controllers of BBC One television and Radio 4 for example. These are the people who decide what we see and hear", he said.

Former BBC One controller Lorraine Heggessey has left the BBC, and has been replaced by a man, Peter Fincham, while Mark Damazer is now the BBC Radio 4 controller, replacing Helen Boaden who is now head of BBC News.

The BBC declined to comment on Buerk's assertions.

Buerk added that it was time for society to admit there was a problem.

"Look at the changes in the workplace. There is no manufacturing industry any more; there are no mines; few vital jobs require physical strength," he added.

those poncy weak computer geeks! grrrr

"What we have now are lots of jobs that require people skills and multi-tasking - which women are a lot better at."

'Happy medium'

While Buerk admitted a lot of the changes were for the better, he questioned whether things had gone too far.

"Products are made for women, cars are made for women - because they control what is being bought," he said.

"Some people might argue that this is a case of the pendulum swinging over the woman's side for a change, and eventually it will find a happy medium."

He added he felt men were being given a lesser role in society.

"All they are is sperm donors, and most women aren't going to want an unemployable sperm donor loafing around and making the house look untidy."

He added he felt men were being given a lesser role in society.

"All they are is sperm donors, and most women aren't going to want an unemployable sperm donor loafing around and making the house look untidy."
    That's no way to talk about AtW, soon to be millionaire.

Comment

I can't imagine anyone wanting his sperm
      Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
        I can't imagine anyone wanting his sperm
        Be fair, he has standards too. They must have a Ph.D., "just like his mother".

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
          Be fair, he has standards too. They must have a Ph.D., "just like his mother".
          I meant the Berkster. Poor AtW will make a good hubby one day. With his tash, pipe and slippers. Like a Russian Jeremy Irons.
          Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

unemployable sperm donor loafing around and making the house look untidy?

The whole house? Christ that's real virility! I only manage to cover the bedroom! Mind you it does take a decent size pickaxe to change the sheets!
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
            X