• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top Tip - Buy plenty of jumpers for this winter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7525105.stm

EDF Energy has announced it is putting up gas prices by 22% and electricity prices by 17% for domestic customers.

The firm has blamed the increase, which comes into effect on 25 July, on record wholesale energy costs.

Energy companies have been widely expected to raise the costs of utility bills this summer, as wholesale prices have been rising.

EDF is the first of the major suppliers to raise prices this summer and others are expected to follow suit.
    I'm glad inflation is only 3% though.

Looks like my log/coal burner and newly built BBQ are going to see some use this winter then.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      I'm glad inflation is only 3% though.
      You can safely bet that 3% will be the rate used to increase pensions, etc that will be announced in November.

Look on the bright side. Once it was a choice: go cold or go hungry. New Labour has eliminated that dilemma; now millions will get to do both.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Intentional pun?

Alternatively go naked inside, throw away your old bedding and turn the heating up to 30 degrees C or so. You know it makes sense.

Comment

EDF provide my gas and electricity. Nasty hike. Luckily I am a few quid in credit so that'll soften the blow.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            You can safely bet that 3% will be the rate used to increase pensions, etc that will be announced in November.

Look on the bright side. Once it was a choice: go cold or go hungry. New Labour has eliminated that dilemma; now millions will get to do both.

I remember when Brown used two different inflation rates simultaneously. He had a low rate that he applied to pensioners that gave them a 25p rise, and a higher rate for raising the fuel tax escalator!! Since then they have been voted back in twice so I suppose the majority are happy with this stealthy ploy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              I remember when Brown used two different inflation rates simultaneously. He had a low rate that he applied to pensioners that gave them a 25p rise, and a higher rate for raising the fuel tax escalator!! Since then they have been voted back in twice so I suppose the majority are happy with this stealthy ploy.
              No the majority are stupid. After all they voted in the Tories after their stealth taxes too.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7533389.stm

British Gas owner Centrica says it is raising gas prices by a record 35% and electricity prices by 9%.

The UK's biggest domestic energy supplier said that the price hikes would take place with immediate effect.

So inflation is still 2% is it?

I love this Labour Government and their careful handling of the economy.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7533389.stm

British Gas owner Centrica says it is raising gas prices by a record 35% and electricity prices by 9%.

The UK's biggest domestic energy supplier said that the price hikes would take place with immediate effect.

Record profits last year:

"The energy giant owned by Centrica, which has just unveiled record energy price rises of up to 44%, makes almost £1bn."
                  http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle4434019.ece

Is there no regulation at all in this industry?
                  Bored.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7534421.stm

British Gas owner Centrica has seen operating profits decline 20% in the first six months of the year, following increases in wholesale gas prices.

Profits fell to £992m from £1.23bn a year earlier.
                    This makes me but surely justifies the increase...
                    Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

Working...
                    X