• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RIP economics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP economics

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7525170.stm

There are now more pupils taking A-levels in media studies, expressive arts and PE than economics
    In 2006-2007 there were only three economics teachers trained - out of an intake into teacher training of more than 38,000 students

Education, education, education. The country may go bust but at least we'll all know how to film a reality TV show of the final collapse.

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7525170.stm

Education, education, education. The country may go bust but at least we'll all know how to film a reality TV show of the final collapse.
    I did 4 year of econmics at uni. I'm still clueless so no great loss there.

Comment

Has there ever been a useful economist? Their theories seem to have caused more pain than good.If they were any use our economies would be a lot more stable. So in this case it's not a bad thing if that pseudo-science slowly dies out.

Oh hello atw, hope you haven't been reading any economics books recently.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

govt

There are now more pupils taking A-levels in media studies, expressive arts and PE than economics

maybe they are correct, the country itself has been managed in lets say... an artistic way by the British government.

Comment

Originally posted by sappatz View Post
          maybe they are correct, the country itself has been managed in lets say... an artistic way by the British government.
          But don't worry, Gordo is listening to your concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Has there ever been a useful economist? Their theories seem to have caused more pain than good.If they were any use our economies would be a lot more stable. So in this case it's not a bad thing if that pseudo-science slowly dies out.
            I studied some Economics at University and I am happy to be very vocal in describing it as speculation and conjecture masquarading as a science.

But, I do think that it is useful for describing what has happened in the past, and that is information that can be learned from.

What it is absolutely no good for, is predicting the future.

I had the same conversation with a bloke I went to school with when he as starting his Masters in Economics.

He said, if you want to know how the economy is going to do in the future, and you have a choice of asking an Economist or a Witch Doctor, there is a miniscule chance that the Witch Doctor might be right. The Economist will be wrong.

Whilst I agree with that, he is now a director of an investment bank in the bahamas, so it looks like he has done alright out of it.

Comment

Supply and demand innit.
              Made a rod for your own back there didn't you, Economics?

PS "expressive arts" as opposed to what sort of arts exactly?

PPS minuscule

Comment

I have qualifications in economics and I would say it has been useful in my analysing where the current government have been going wrong. Understanding the principles of supply and demand is a good start.

I think I was one of the few that predicted a housing crash just over a year ago, while the vast majority of others were saying that it just could not happen.

Comment

I predicted the credit crunch five years ago. I didn't need an economics qualification for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                    I have qualifications in economics and I would say it has been useful in my analysing where the current government have been going wrong. Understanding the principles of supply and demand is a good start.

I think I was one of the few that predicted a housing crash just over a year ago, while the vast majority of others were saying that it just could not happen.
                    You really are a Cyberdimwit aren't you?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X