• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No more NHS for Contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more NHS for Contractors?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4413354.ece

Weakened Gordon Brown gives in to union demands

Gordon Brown has caved in to unions, allowing a series of concessions - including an extension of the minimum wage - in a move that sent shudders through the business community.....

Business leaders gave warning that the measures, which include new rights to time off, would hit companies’ ability to compete during an economic downturn. Changes to the minimum wage in particular could cost businesses an extra £88 million a year.

The party also agreed to extend parental leave and to impose new limits on private contractors to the Health Service.

Oh dear..

So who will do the work for the NHS then. Do the unions think that all these private enterprise companies i.e. us will cease to exist and flock to permiedom in the NHS?

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
      Changes to the minimum wage in particular could cost businesses an extra £88 million a year.
      That doesn't sound like very much but I guess if you supply cleaners or fruit pickers it hits you proportionately more.

Comment

I doubt they are referring to IT project contractors, rather support staff. I believe the cleaning contract was stupidly & incompetently contracted out and is a particular concern of unions (rightly, IMO).
        Bored.

Comment

What they all said. Compulsory Competitive Tendering was a disaster. I, however intend to remain in my NHS contract.

Comment

Working...
          X