• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank Recommendations - Personal & Business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank Recommendations - Personal & Business

Afternoon all!

I currently do all my banking (personal current account, savings, credit card, business accounts etc.) with Alliance & Leicester. Over the last two years they have made numerous cock ups…from small errors to much larger issues that I have had to spend months clearing up after them.

I’ve always believed in banking with one institution and building a good relationship with them, but that doesn’t seem to matter to A&L. I’m considering moving all my business elsewhere and wondered if there was a general consensus of where to take it.

Cater Allen are highly recommended for business, but what about personal finances? Shall I continue with the one-stop-shop for all my financial matters or go with someone different for each need?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by BrianSnail; 28 July 2008, 11:52. Reason: I don't like misspellinks
    Gas masks don't fit snails...

I use Cater Allen (note the spelling - if I had a pound for every post that called them Carter Allen, I would have enough for a few rounds of beer!!) for my business banking and first direct for my personal stuff.

No issues with either - in fact they have both been very good.
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I use Cater Allen for business banking and Halifax for personal. Cater Allen are excellent and....well they kind of balance each other out.

Comment

Used NatWest for personal for ages, and have finally got around to setting up 'proper' business banking with them. I have the mobile number of my personal banker, and business banker, and I've been told that they'll waive all business charges.

They're pretty good for personal stuff, but I don't know about the business side. I considered Cater Allen, but I like to be able to go see someone if there is a problem.....
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Can't fault Cater Allen's business banking especially now they are online. I think they offer free personal banking to existing business account holders, But beware they are part of the Shabbey Group mind you.

Comment

Cater Allen require a £5K minimum balance for personal customers. However, they usually waive that after a while if you've got a business account with them. Customer service has been excellent, and they recently FINALLY got their internet banking up and running.

Comment

Abbey Business. Free banking for ever. (Don't forget to open a Business Reserve account too.)

Nationwide for personal. Free withdrawls overseas.

but all my spending goes on:

Barclaycard Platinum Cashback, 2% on petrol and supermarket.

or:

British Airways AMEX, free airmiles.

HTH
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

British Airways AMEX, free airmiles.
                Yeah me too. Have been pleasantly suprised at how quickly the airmiles add up. On the other hand given how much the missus pays waitrose a month maybe I shouldn't be

Comment

Switching to Cater Allen for business now. And use nationwide for personal banking. Leaving RBS which charged ridiculous fees and gave nothing back. Also ditching the RBS credit card..the Cater Allen debit card will suffice.

If you apply through Contractor UK they waive the £5K minimum.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                  X