• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Young permie self-delusion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young permie self-delusion

Overheard two of the young 'Fast Trackers' chatting today. Just caught the odd phrases.

'We're worth a fortune in this Talent Crunch'

'I could walk out of here and double my salary easy'

'They've spent so much training us they'd never make US redundant'

'Contractors? They're just permies who couldn't cut it.'

'She is just an in-spi-RAAA-tion to work for'

Meanwhile the old dog raised one eyebrow, smiled to himself and let out a low contented growl. Let them find out for themselves.......
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
      Let them find out for themselves.......
      Of course. Best to encourage this thinking if it is to be responded to at all. Were it not for saps like these working hard for reasons of percieved prestige rather than actual money their employers would have less money for contractors.

It's mugs that make the world go 'round.

Comment

What industry?

Were they Java developers?

Comment

They sound like right tw@ts

Comment

Were they recently out of Uni?
            The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Don't destroy their blissful ignorance, not yet anyway
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

It's sweet isn't it! Start hinting that there are important (but vague and undefined) strtegy visioning meetings going on off site. Look mildly surprised, yet indulgently kind when they let out that they are not in attendance.

Comment

'They've spent so much training us they'd never make US redundant'

'Contractors? They're just permies who couldn't cut it.'
                  I used to be like that. Ignorant and thought the company actually gave a tulip about me.

Now I'm a contractor earning the same in a day as I did in a week in pemie land. I'll quite happily be branded as someone that couldn't cut it for that.

Comment

I think you're being a little harsh here. I'm sure most of us here were as idealistic once. I count myself lucky (now, not at the time) that I got really screwed over in my first permie job. In a way, they did me a favour in educating me in the way that things really work.

The worrying thing is, I know people like that in their 30s and 40s who still believe that "the company will look after them, etc." and you just know that at age 50, they're going to be dropped like a stone.

Comment

Working...
                    X