• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At what point should you claim JSA?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At what point should you claim JSA?

I am between contracts just now - in security clearance limbo.

As I am unsure when it might come through I was wondering whether I should obtain my P45 and sign on in the meantime.

Is it worth it for the paltry £59 week and Nat. Insurance stamps?

Forget JSA as your supposed to be looking for work, which you obviously aren't. Why not get another contract while you're waiting. This SC seems hardly worthwhile if it takes months to get, and then you may not get it, or the project will have finished.

Comment

you don't state whether you are a director of your own company - if you are, then you can't claim JSA anyway.

IANAA etc.
      We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
      - Douglas Adams

Comment

Just to clarify

I'm still looking for work just in case the contract does not materialise. I look every day on the jobsites and speak politely to the agents.

I am with an umbrella company.

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
          you don't state whether you are a director of your own company - if you are, then you can't claim JSA anyway.
          Is that true? Even if the company isn't doing anything, you still can claim the dole?
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Yes you can, being director of company makes no difference but after a point you are expected to go for all sorts of crap jobs.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Claim JSA straight away. Get the NI credits at their expense. Otherwise the revenue boys will come after you ‘offering’ you the ‘opportunity’ to top things up at your own expense.

Even if they nag you into applying for crap jobs, there is a world of difference between applying and an employer choosing you, who is way over qualified and poorly motivated, or someone else, whose skills matches and actually wants the job.

However, this is based on the experience from many years ago and I was semi-‘on the fiddle’ anyway.
              Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 29 July 2008, 10:04.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
                I'm still looking for work just in case the contract does not materialise. I look every day on the jobsites and speak politely to the agents.

I am with an umbrella company.
                In which case, ask your Umbrella to give you your P45 and go and register with the local Job Centre and claim JSA. Once you find a job, go back to the Umbrella (or join up with another, or start your own ltd company) - assuming you are going back to contracting - and happy days.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post

IANAA etc.

You can claim JSA. Just get your accountant to issue a P45 and make your company dormant.

Comment

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
                    I am between contracts just now - in security clearance limbo.

As I am unsure when it might come through I was wondering whether I should obtain my P45 and sign on in the meantime.

Is it worth it for the paltry £59 week and Nat. Insurance stamps?
                    Definitely worth the £59 per week and the stamps, go for it, that is what it is there for (and not for worthless permanent leaches that live on benefit)

Comment

Working...
                    X