• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK patents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK patents

I was under the impression that a patent issued in the UK is valid all around the Western World, ie EU and USA/Canada, however today I have received opinion that its not the case and what's worse separate patents needed in EU members, ie France, Germany etc.

Has someone got an informed opinion on the matter?

I tried Google -- my humble engine is not good yet for these digs, I will switch to it (aka dog food approach) in 2 months time.

Meanwhile it appears that patent in the UK should be EU wide.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      I was under the impression that a patent issued in the UK is valid all around the Western World, ie EU and USA/Canada, however today I have received opinion that its not the case and what's worse separate patents needed in EU members, ie France, Germany etc.

Has someone got an informed opinion on the matter?
      The person who gave you that opinion is correct. See here for further details: What is a Patent?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        Meanwhile it appears that patent in the UK should be EU wide.
        Maybe it should be, but it isn't. At least according to the Patent Office and they should know after all.

Comment

Situation is a load of bollox - http://www.patent.gov.uk/patent/howt.../obtaining.htm

The best achieveable is gaining temporary (1-3) years protection in many foreign countries, but ultimately patents will have to be filed in these countries.

The system is a load of bollox, especially with fees raising nicely after few years.

Comment

Remember, Alexei, in any case you cannot patent an idea, a method for doing things, or software.

In the meantime, here's an interesting factoid for you. The world's first registered trademark, trademark number 1, was Bass's red triangle.

Comment

Trade mark #1 was for Bass & Co's pale ale and was signified by a Red Triangle.

Trade make #2 was for Bass & Co and was signified by a lozenge.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Threaded, what satisfaction did you gain by posting exactly the same information an hour later than the original poster?

You've just succeeded in making yourself look a bigger twat - HTH.

Comment

oh dear little one,

it looks like your ownership of a bullet proof BMW X5 and the Roman Abromovic lifestyle to which you aspire is further away than you imagined

Milan.

Comment

Patents are for rich bully boy companies with very few original ideas to force startups that do have original ideas into a legal corner.

Forget about patenting anything it's a VERY costly waste of time unless you have the LARGE funds to defend you patent globally.

And the Chinese take absolutely no notice of patents, trademarks, copyright anyway.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X