• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At last I have a clean driving licence.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At last I have a clean driving licence.

Today is 4 years to the day since I got 3 points for breaking numerous laws on Salisbury plain (the A30). Before that I had some points unfairly awarded for going through a red light(not my fault but there we go).

Now I can finally register my new address - I was never going to pay to have points removed from the paper copy.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Today is 4 years to the day since I got 3 points for breaking numerous laws on Salisbury plain (the A30). Before that I had some points unfairly awarded for going through a red light(not my fault but there we go).
    Hah, I have 12 points on my license as well as an embarrassing 'hardship' label still on my license*. They are all expired, but I keep them on the license as a badge of honour.

*this is what they put in your license when you should have been banned but the court was lenient (in this case because I said it would cause me hardship) so that the plods know you are still allowed to drive.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
      Hah, I have 12 points on my license as well as an embarrassing 'hardship' label still on my license*. They are all expired, but I keep them on the license as a badge of honour.

*this is what they put in your license when you should have been banned but the court was lenient (in this case because I said it would cause me hardship) so that the plods know you are still allowed to drive.
      What lies did you tell to keep your licence? Or was it genuine?

Comment

Now I can finally register my new address - I was never going to pay to have points removed from the paper copy.
        Next month is 3 years since the council moved up the start of a 40mph limit and placed a mobile camera accordingly. Although I was slowing down for where I remembered the limit to start I got 3 points and a fine. At least in a few weeks time it no longer counts towards the dreaded 12 points total any more.

I won't be getting another licence next year when I can have all the various 3 points offences removed as I see no point in paying to replace something which still has many years to run.
        If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

What lies did you tell to keep your licence? Or was it genuine?
          No lies, I told them I was a IT contractor who was required to drive to get to my clients. Since I was between clients at the time, I explained that not being able to drive would seriously impact my ability to get work.

The implication was clear. Put me on the dole if you want.

As it turned out, they made a wise decision,a nd as it turns out I must have modified my driving to some extent (and been more careful/teched up) because I haven't had a ticket since.

Comment

I had a clean licence for years, until my birthday just over a month ago when I went past one of those vans at 71mph. I saw it too; read the word "police" on the back and it just didn't register. Doh!

Years ago I was done for over 90 in a 60 and got out of the short ban because I was doing a long commute.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

What annoys me is that the points expire after 4 years but the insurance companies still ask for them for 5 years
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                What annoys me is that the points expire after 4 years but the insurance companies still ask for them for 5 years
                The points expire after 3 years, the stay on your license for a further year, but insurance companies ask for convictions in the last 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                  good point - but when you tell them between years 4 and 5 they say "so they are coming off this year then" - so why ask?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                    No lies, I told them I was a IT contractor who was required to drive to get to my clients. Since I was between clients at the time, I explained that not being able to drive would seriously impact my ability to get work.

The implication was clear. Put me on the dole if you want.

As it turned out, they made a wise decision,a nd as it turns out I must have modified my driving to some extent (and been more careful/teched up) because I haven't had a ticket since.
                    I must remember that excuse - sounds very plausible.

Comment

Working...
                    X