• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Broken bike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken bike

The chain on my bicycle snapped yesterday. The chain was useful for transferring energy from legs to rear wheel and in this regard its function is sadly missed. The bike does however still work well going down hills. It was an old bike of my brothers - an el-cheapo Halfords (or equivalent I expect) once many moons ago. It works okay for my purposes, but the chain had been rubbing against the derraliers for some time following some quite harsh off-road sessions. Nothing much works well on it really, but that adds a bit of charm and unnickability.

I took it to the bike shop and they said if I have a new chain fitted (I suspect the old chain is completely shot and not worth repairing) I should have a whole new gear-train (the cogs on the back wheel) too Is that right, can't I replace the chain without getting a new gear-train? If I replace the derralier (I suspect this is probably shot too, causing the chain to wear out) they estimate the repair to cost around £50 all-in. I don't want to spend a fortune though.

Should I:

1) Scrap it and buy another second hand bike? Probably costing around £50 anyway?
    2) Bite the bullet and buy a brand spanking new bike costing ~ £140 upwards
    3) Just buy a new chain and see if that works? I think I should probably have tried this while I was at the bike shop.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The chain on my bicycle snapped yesterday. The chain was useful for transferring energy from legs to rear wheel and in this regard its function is sadly missed. The bike does however still work well going down hills. It was an old bike of my brothers - an el-cheapo Halfords (or equivalent I expect) once many moons ago. It works okay for my purposes, but the chain had been rubbing against the derraliers for some time following some quite harsh off-road sessions. Nothing much works well on it really, but that adds a bit of charm and unnickability.

I took it to the bike shop and they said if I have a new chain fitted (I suspect the old chain is completely shot and not worth repairing) I should have a whole new gear-train (the cogs on the back wheel) too Is that right, can't I replace the chain without getting a new gear-train? If I replace the derralier (I suspect this is probably shot too, causing the chain to wear out) they estimate the repair to cost around £50 all-in. I don't want to spend a fortune though.

Should I:

1) Scrap it and buy another second hand bike? Probably costing around £50 anyway?
    3) Just buy a new chain and see if that works? I think I should probably have tried this while I was at the bike shop.

Without actually seeing your bike it is difficult to make a precise diagnosis - however depending on the nature of the defect - in general chains can be repaired - ie perhaps simply a link is missing - if so I would take it to another bicycle repairer for a sensible quote .

Normally you would not need the gear train replaced - can you see any visible damage on the cog itself ?

Whatever you do - good luck.

I've got a bike
    You can ride it if you like
    It's got a basket

A bell that rings

And things to make it look good
    I'd give it to you if I could -

But I borrowed it

I know a mouse -
    And he hasn't got a house
    I don't know why

I call him Gerald

He's getting rather old

But he's a good mouse !

I know a room - full of musical tunes

Some rhyme -
    Some ching -

Most of them are clockwork

Let's go into the other room and make them work

You're the kind of girl that fits in with my world

I'll give you anything

Everything if you want things
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 29 July 2008, 12:26.

Comment

jeeeeez sounds like bike shops are getting as bad as garages !!!

Milan.

Comment

The Sprockets do wear out eventually but I can't see that it's an automatic replacement along with the chain. Why not buy the haynes book (I can recommend it) or similar on bikes and do it yourself - chains are dead easy to do once you have the little extractor/press thingy (only about a fiver) and if you do it yourself you'll learn more about how it all works.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
          Without actually seeing your bike it is difficult to make a precise diagnosis - however depending on the nature of the defect - in general chains can be repaired - ie perhaps simply a link is missing - if so I would take it to another bicycle repairer for a sensible quote .
          The chain is old and has taken a beating recently so I suspect the problem will be lurking in more than in the single link that snapped.

Normally you would not need the gear train replaced - can you see any visible damage on the cog itself ?
          The cogs on the gear-train look okay to me, but not so the cogs on the derraliers which look worn down. I can only guess the spacing between new chain links and old cogs may have changed over time (e.g. in going from imperial to metric), hence the need to keep the two in step? But what about replacing the big cogs connected to the pedals at the front? This seems suspicious eh?

Comment

check this out

Comment

Sorted: Chainless Bike
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

Should I:

I only use the my bike to do the mile from my estate to the local village station, so Option 1 - cheapy bike from your local Tesco's.

Failing that, option 4) buy a sedan chair and have your butler/footman take you where you need.

Comment

Okay, the solution was I went and bought a new chain - only £12. Unfortunately together with the purchase of a chain tool and grease this added another £12 to the cost. D'oh. Chain works fine now, though how the pins work mysterifies me, the pin extractor thingy, which I gather is also used to insert the pins, came with zero instructions. I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to get the device to burr the pin edges and after some long while experimenting ended up concluding that you don't burr them at all. I'll know for sure if the chain comes apart.

I also know for sure my deraileur is knackered since the two sprockets are meant to line up, and mine are way off. So that'll add another £12 to the cost when I buy a new one. Looks like the first shop wasn't too pricey afterall.

Comment

I would have had another bike shop give a second opinion if I thought they were trying to pull a fast one, but all the parts you mention will need replacing eventually, and you do say it's an old bike. Carrying on with worn parts is a false economy, as it increases the wear on the replacement parts, and also makes the bike harder to ride.

If you want to get a new one, I would suggest spending more than £140 - that will get you a bike-shaped-object, rather than an actual bicycle. I'm thinking of spending somewhere in the £250 - £300 range for a basic but worthwhile hybrid.

Comment

Working...
                    X