• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ID Cards could be used for mass surveillance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ID Cards could be used for mass surveillance

The Government is creating a system of "mass public surveillance" capable of tracking every adult in Britain without their consent, MPs say. They warn that people who have never committed a crime can be "electronically monitored" without their knowledge.

Biometric facial scans, which will be compulsory with ID cards, are to be put on a national database which can then be matched with images from CCTV. The database of faces will enable police and security services to track individuals regardless of whether they have broken the law.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/pol...icle306577.ece

Milan.

Benes, should this not be an "Oh Dear" topic? I hate to think you might be losing your touch.

Remember, if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear from New Labour's one party police state. Still, it's nice to know the old bill are cracking down on the hardened villains...

Police in 'get tough' campaign arrest woman, 79, in 4am raid

POLICE have expressed regret for the treatment of a great-grandmother who was woken by officers at 4am, arrested and kept in custody for 13 hours.

Eileen Kearsey, 79, says she was treated like a suspected terrorist when police followed up a complaint made two months earlier by her neighbour. She was eventually released without charge at 5pm the next day, after being questioned, fingerprinted and having a DNA sample taken.

Although falling short of apologising, police now acknowledge that Mrs Kearsey could have been dealt with in a “more efficient manner”.

The force has recently adopted a “get tough” campaign. The widow was one of hundreds of people accused of offences who were on a list that Roger Baker, Essex’s newly appointed Chief Constable, wanted to tackle. But officers called at her Chelmsford flat before she could make an appointment with the officer investigating her neighbour’s claims.

Comment

Amy's Tiger

Actually, I kinda like the fact the plod did this. Makes the sun shine, if you know what I mean.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/4154660.stm

Police who slowed down traffic on the M11 to recover a child's toy have said there was no cost and the move led to only minor inconvenience for drivers.
      Essex Police defended its officers on Monday after the RAC said that any congestion presented "a real risk".

Amy Osborn's cuddly tiger named Tyrone blew out of the family car as they drove back to Kent from holiday. Officers found it and sent it back.

Amy's mother said: "We didn't honestly think they would take action."
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention, it is one of my systems that will be used for the face tracking. Project was called "Peter Rabbit". Originally started out following rabbits around my garden, it could identify individual rabbits and follow them, even if they went behind things or hid in a hutch for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          Oh, forgot to mention, it is one of my systems that will be used for the face tracking. Project was called "Peter Rabbit". Originally started out following rabbits around my garden, it could identify individual rabbits and follow them, even if they went behind things or hid in a hutch for a while.
          Threaded, you're telling porkies again...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            Remember, if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear from New Labour's one party police state. Still, it's nice to know the old bill are cracking down on the hardened villains...
            What did she do to warrant such treatment? Answer the door in her bikini?
            Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
              What did she do to warrant such treatment? Answer the door in her bikini?

Good job she didn't look a bit suntanned - they'd've probably shot her.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                Actually, I kinda like the fact the plod did this. Makes the sun shine, if you know what I mean.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/4154660.stm

Police who slowed down traffic on the M11 to recover a child's toy have said there was no cost and the move led to only minor inconvenience for drivers.
                Threaded, you sentimental twat, in the long run what good will come of doing this? They should have abandoned the toy in the road, even if the kid did cry for a while, and thus taught the kid a harmless lesson in not being careless.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Conversely, the plod got to practise a rolling road block, a good many youngsters have heard that the police do nice things, and it made me smile.

Comment

Essex Police defended its officers on Monday after the RAC said that any congestion presented "a real risk".
                    Interesting. I once stopped on the M62 and rang the bat-phone.

Me: Hello, there's a dog escaped and is going bzerk on the M62 Easybound at Jnn
                    Plod: Bugger off - it will just have to get squashed then
                    Me: Probably. That was the good news. The bad news is that a woman has parked in the first lane, with the door open. She is now chasing it around.
                    Plod: Tough. Don't bother us.
                    Me: Ok, I'll talk to the press when she is squashed to an inch thick by an artic.
                    Plod: Oh bugger. We'll have to send somebody. But they might be a while.

And police in Essex call out the troops for a stuffed toy tiger.

Comment

Working...
                    X