• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The only secretary you can shag with a clear conscience!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only secretary you can shag with a clear conscience!

So, i'm newly married, and we're relocating, and the missus is going to be out of work for a while, possibly quite a while if everything's functioning *down below*

...so...

Can I hire her as a secretary and pay her monies in a no way obvious method of extracting cash from my ltd company?
    What are the legal/accounting/revenue man repercussions of this?
    Anyone else in the same boat?

Thanks!
    Lou

Originally posted by LouC View Post
    So, i'm newly married, and we're relocating, and the missus is going to be out of work for a while, possibly quite a while if everything's functioning *down below*

...so...

Can I hire her as a secretary and pay her monies in a no way obvious method of extracting cash from my ltd company?

Thanks!
    Lou
    Feet?
    B00med!

Comment

If she is legitimately doing work you can pay her the going rate for what she does with no worries at all.
      Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
        If she is legitimately doing work you can pay her the going rate for what she does with no worries at all.
        Has that kind of "work" been decriminalised now? I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
          Has that kind of "work" been decriminalised now? I can't remember.
          I think you will find it has always been legal - it is just offering it for money and looking for business in that line of work that is illegal. I believe paying for the service is legal and accepting payment for the service is equally legal.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras View Post
            I think you will find it has always been legal - it is just offering it for money and looking for business in that line of work that is illegal. I believe paying for the service is legal and accepting payment for the service is equally legal.
            Depends how old she is - the law is strangely inconsistent when it comes to matters determined largely by Daily Mail editorials. For example it's legal to marry and have sex with a sixteen-year-old (with the consent of parents/guardian), but you're not allowed to take a photo of him/her in the buff

Comment

I think we've moved off topic here...

Comment

Originally posted by zathras View Post
                Not quite - you can offer it for money perfectly legally. Here it is the punter who is potentially breaking the law. Very little to do with prostitution itself is illegal - the offecnes are on the periphery. Living off somebody else's immoral earnings. Running a brothel this kind of thing.

The most common offence committed by prostitutes is almost certainly failing to declare their earnings to HMRC.....

Comment

Originally posted by LouC View Post

...so...

Thanks!
                  Lou
                  She can be paid for book keeping/secretarial for sure. No need for her to be company secretary for this. Her salary should reflect the work done at market rate. She can also be a 50% shareholder.

Overall, the most tax efficient balance is around £5K each salary (so you qualify for state pension but don't actually pay any NI) and rest as dividends up to higher rate bracket (approx £35K gross divs). Any spare cash can be carried to forward to a year where you are not earning so save paying 40% tax.

But .... many contractors pay more than £5K as salary for insurance/minimum wage/off the HMRC radar reasons so this balance is often not achieved. The biggest gain will be made from making her a shareholder as opposed to paying her a wage as you can save 22.5% of £35K (what you would have to pay as higher rate dividend tax) = £8K.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                    Not quite - you can offer it for money perfectly legally. Here it is the punter who is potentially breaking the law. Very little to do with prostitution itself is illegal - the offecnes are on the periphery. Living off somebody else's immoral earnings. Running a brothel this kind of thing.

The most common offence committed by prostitutes is almost certainly failing to declare their earnings to HMRC.....
                    Not quite (again)..

You can offer the services for money in private, but not public.

Public solicitation for this particular service is illegal I believe, but how the hell would you solicit in private?
                    Still Invoicing

Comment

Working...
                    X