• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Washer dryer, repair or replace

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washer dryer, repair or replace

At about the time my local water pressure was turned up, my washer-dryer developed a problem whereby over the course of a few days it gradually fills up with water, while turned off.

The problem is a fairly trivial one. I could (but don't) choose to continue to live with it by turning off the water at the valve in the cold-water pipe that goes to the machine, when it's not in use.

I could (but don't) choose to try and fix it myself - it's something like a £15 part and apparently is a relatively easy repair. However, if I do repair, I'd rather pay someone else an exhorbitant fee to do it.

Repair would cost £98 plus parts with a one year guarantee.

Replacement would cost £350.

Machine was bought in 2000.

Please vote.
    Repair for £98 plus cost of parts
    15.00%
    Buy a new one for £350
    85.00%

As long as you have "Please learn to make these trivial household decisions by yourself" as one of the options.
    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

I have a lot of time on my hands. And it really is quite a finely balanced decision, however trivial.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
        I have a lot of time on my hands. And it really is quite a finely balanced decision, however trivial.
        Then buy the £15 part and install yourself must surely be the way to go. Does the £350 have any additional 'features' ?

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
          Fix it yourself, then. Can't be that difficult, smoe sort of inlet value surely?
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Where's the "Don't know - the missus does all this stuff" option ?

Comment

Where's the "AndyW is now an apprentice plumber and will do it on the cheap" option?
              Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                Then buy the £15 part and install yourself must surely be the way to go.
                WHS. FFS the yoof of today. Don't know they're born.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

A new one will be more energy-efficient - in twenty-five years it will probably have paid for itself in fuel savings alone.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    A new one will be more energy-efficient - in twenty-five years it will probably have paid for itself in fuel savings alone.
                    Excellent intentions but 25 years seems a little long to wait for the 'benefit'. The last one only lasted 8.

Comment

Working...
                    X