• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you be better off in Oz?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you be better off in Oz?

The Australian government is launching a massive drive to attract 20,000 skilled migrants from countries such as Britain to swell its workforce.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4160570.stm

Milan.

I was expecting a poll. My best mate moved to Oz 3 years ago and despite the good weather, better standard of living etc he wants to come home as he misses going to White Hart Lane to see his beloved Spurs.
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Chico, did your best mate move to Oz shortly after you completed your Alpha Course?

Comment

Thing is the BBC articles tell you nothing of what skills/ages are required and googling just turns up a minefield of migration consultants.

As for the Spurs fan, well he just sounds like a brain dead chav

Comment

Breaking News

LB I have not done The Alpha Course. Anyway does evil exist? Or is it all relative?
          Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

It is cheaper to eat and drink out in Australia, with a McDonald's Big Mac burger some 55p dearer at £1.99 in the UK and a pint of beer 25p more expensive at an average of £2.50.
            Now there's an advert!

Comment

I was last there about 18 months ago and the IT job market was fairly grim at the time but I think has picked up a bit since. There has been a lot of IT related immigration in recent years ( slowed down by the tech bust ) by people eager to get their hands on an Oz passport and willing to work for lower wages than someone from the UK. If the IT route is still open don't expect to earn big bucks when you get there but you would be able to get some work I would think.

I would have a look at the Oz consulate/government sites to weigh up your chances and then look after your own application. I did it myself ( and know quite a few people who did it that way ) and it seemed quicker and probably easier than allowing a third party to do it.

Comment

Working...
              X