• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4-1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4-1

Ahh 'tis sweet. One of my clients has set up a welcome banner in the canteen with Danish and English flags and two A3 prints one with a 4 on it and the other with a 1.

Have tried explaining: Football, it's a proles game.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

A night of shame. Not even Special K managed such a feat, despite his best efforts.

I was in favour of Sven's appointment, and I still believe it was the right decision at the time. But perhaps it's time to seriously reconsider his position and get rid of James. We've never been good at producing creative players, but we've always had a reputation for quality keepers. So FFS, why does he keep that muppet between the sticks!?
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
      A night of shame. Not even Special K managed such a feat, despite his best efforts.

I was in favour of Sven's appointment, and I still believe it was the right decision at the time. But perhaps it's time to seriously reconsider his position and get rid of James. We've never been good at producing creative players, but we've always had a reputation for quality keepers. So FFS, why does he keep that muppet between the sticks!?
      It was only a friendly and Sven doesn't give a dog's crusty turd about winning friendlies.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
        It was only a friendly.
        Exactly, who's going to risk injury over a friendly? That's what makes them pointless.
        The vegetarian option.

Comment

It was only a friendly and Sven doesn't give a dog's crusty turd about winning friendlies.
          That's true, and I was thinking as much. My feeling that Sven should go isn't a knee jerk reaction against one bad result. Freaky results can and do happen; it's not the first time and it won't be the last time.

My concern is that under Sven we have a tendency to struggle. 2-2 at home against Greece!? We were damn lucky to qualify that day. Even Germany, who for the past few years have been truly awful, managed to get to the WC final. What did we do? Tamely surrendered to Brazil.

In my view, Sven is like a consultant. He took over England at a time when we really needed some tactical sophistication and a different, more objective approach. He was the best man available, but since his appointment there should have been a knowledge/skills transfer, an apprenticeship for talented young England managers.
          You don't want a consultant to be in place forever. We are a major football nation and we need to develop our internal talent, both on and off the pitch.

Comment

Come on then WS, suggest a credible replacement - Jose Morinho(sp?) would be my choice at whatever the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong
              Exactly, who's going to risk injury over a friendly? That's what makes them pointless.
              But what about national pride? Countries like England, Italy, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina and France should be expected to win their friendlies.

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
                But what about national pride? Countries like England, Italy, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina and France should be expected to win their friendlies.
                We're English, we're not permitted to mention the words "National" and "Pride" lest we be branded racist!

Comment

Come on then WS, suggest a credible replacement - Jose Morinho(sp?) would be my choice at whatever the cost.
                  I'm a big fan of Mourinho (that sexy, sultry look!) and he would be an excellent choice, as he understands that there's more to success in football than simply picking 11 players. A philosophy needs to be developed, and understanding that there are many connections, young players require development. To give credit, we have started to address this issue in the past few years. We will never be able to play like Brazil; it's just not in our culture. Instead we should look to Holland and Germany. Culturally and racially they are the same stock as us, yet they manage to produce (in Holland's case) players of great talent, skill and technique, and (in Germany's case) team success and tactical nous.

Who should be the England manager? I don't know, and that's worrying. There aren't any strong English candidates. Taylor will never make the transition from B team manager to A grade...Robson? Hmmm....

Comment

I hear Big Ron is looking for a job.

Comment

Working...
                    X