• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security breech worry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security breech worry

I'm currently working on a large aerospace site where I require SC security clearance, I was told that USB sticks are not allowed but as I was frustrated at how much documentation I had to get through so I decided to copy it to take home... who's gonna know??

I plugged the stick in forgetting about the utilities folder that contains a few apps that may be frowned upon, instantly Symantec flagged up 'ProduKey' (windows product key viewer).

Am I fecked? How long before I feel the long arm of the Security guy??

Or am I being paranoid???
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Worked at a few of those, Filton, Cheltenham, Chatham, Preston, Birmingham + naval stuff. Aircraft and MOD generally are living death. Boy, am I glad I retired.

I always get into a tizzy imagining all sorts of dire consequences of things too but it never seems to happen. Even if there is some central logging of such things I doubt anyone looks at it.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      I'm currently working on a large aerospace site where I require SC security clearance, I was told that USB sticks are not allowed but as I was frustrated at how much documentation I had to get through so I decided to copy it to take home... who's gonna know??

I plugged the stick in forgetting about the utilities folder that contains a few apps that may be frowned upon, instantly Symantec flagged up 'ProduKey' (windows product key viewer).

Am I fliped? How long before I feel the long arm of the Security guy??

If I was you I'd emigrate to Russia now, taking your USB stick with you.

Comment

You are so screwed

PS. Don't mention the Chinese, Russian or Altairan embassies

oops! They are probably reading this right now
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Yes you are being paranoid.

I'd be more concerned about being found with material I'd copied onto the stick to take home with me. Especially if it is were classified.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Colleague of mine got nabbed for this - they let him off with a stern warning on a first offence. I have always been able to mail stuff to myself for reading - provided it wasn't protectively marked (which it wasn't)
            Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 29 July 2008, 22:43. Reason: syntax

Comment

Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke : Today at 23:43. Reason: syntax
              Fear

Comment

you ain't seen me, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  you ain't seen me, right?

And your real name & address is?

Comment

If they're that concerned, and assuming it's a Windoze site as you're running Symantec, you should be able to divert attention to the sysadmin who has failed to deploy a group policy disabling USB ports.

They did that (the USB-disabling-group-policy) without any notice once at a broadcaster I was working at, which left a content manager with a bunch of photos of the band whose interview was being played out on the network show that evening unable to get the pics off his camera. In the end, I got them onto my MacBook (which wasn't allowed on the network, but they'd gracefully provided an ADSL line for my exclusive use), zipped them, then FTPd them to one of my web servers. I then emailed a link to the file on the web site to the content manager (who was sat opposite me), and he downloaded the file, unzipped it, and could then get the photos onto the show's site ready to go live as the show was broadcast.

You may want to try a similar approach in future, although if you're not supposed to use a USB stick, heaven alone knows what the consequences would be for uploading it all to a web server... if they ever realised

Comment

Working...
                    X