• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 10 worst property investments ever

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 10 worst property investments ever

http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/mon...8/06/post.html

The doomsters will like number 8 :-

8. New-build city-centre flats

Thousands of newly-built urban apartments have flooded the market in recent years, dominating northern city skylines, but now prices are plummeting by up to 70 per cent. New-build blocks attracted amateur buy-to-letters eager to earn a quick buck from the property boom. But now many fear they paid vastly over the odds. One report cites a three-bedroom apartment in Kelso Heights, a development near the University of Leeds campus in the centre of the town, which was recently sold for £71,000. It was bought in 2006 for £237,999. Flats in certain developments in areas such as Manchester, Newcastle and east London have also fallen in value by 40-50 per cent.

I reckon the worst ones are the half-built appartments on the costa del Sol. At least you can let a flat in a city centre.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      There's some half built houses in Port Talbot.

Why anyone would buy any sort of house in Port Talbot is beyond my comprehension.
      I was talking to a Traveller (diddycoy) I know. He said they can't even shift the building materials that have been left on sites all round the country. Nobody's buying
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I've heard this all over. Looks like the UK is covered in half-built houses.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Get convicts and dole scroungers to build them
          Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Wonderful opportunities for squatters I imagine. Don't hear much about them these days. Do people still live in squats? Used to be all the rage.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
              I was talking to a Traveller (diddycoy) I know. He said they can't even shift the building materials that have been left on sites all round the country. Nobody's buying
              No copper left lying around then I guess.
              Bored.

Comment

What are all these new build flats going to look like in 30 years, when they have all been taken over for social housing?

Exactly like Tower Hamlets today, a tuliphole, that's what.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                  What are all these new build flats going to look like in 30 years, when they have all been taken over for social housing?
                  Especially since the recent architectural trend has been to use natural wood as a facing material - looks all nice and jolly in year 1, but by year 10 that'll look like an old hobo's shack.
                  Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                    Especially since the recent architectural trend has been to use natural wood as a facing material - looks all nice and jolly in year 1, but by year 10 that'll look like an old hobo's shack.
                    Yes, there's a nice riverside townhouse near us - all modern and wood faced. Downstairs still looks ok where they've been able to use preservative without getting the scaffolding out. The top two floors have gone grey and nasty...
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X