• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Warning Geeks!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning Geeks!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7532713.stm

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Lock him up I say. 20 years ought to do it.....
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

But for some, his method of hacking is not nearly so interesting as his reason for doing it.

Not for me - I want to know how, not why

Mr McKinnon got his first computer when he was 14 years old, and has been a hobbyist ever since. He left school at 17, and became a hairdresser. But, in the early 1990s, some friends convinced him to get a qualification in computers. After completing a course, he started doing contract work in the computing field.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        But for some, his method of hacking is not nearly so interesting as his reason for doing it.

Not for me - I want to know how, not why

Mr McKinnon got his first computer when he was 14 years old, and has been a hobbyist ever since. He left school at 17, and became a hairdresser. But, in the early 1990s, some friends convinced him to get a qualification in computers. After completing a course, he started doing contract work in the computing field.
        So, what you are saying is if we do not hear from ZG for a while......
        "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

The Yanks are just embarrassed that their ultra-secure systems are so full of holes; that people can just stroll in and poke around.
          Their thinking - If they can't make the system secure, make examples of the people who wander in for a look around innit
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            The Yanks are just embarrassed that their ultra-secure systems are so full of holes; that people can just stroll in and poke around.
            Their thinking - If they can't make the system secure, make examples of the people who wander in for a look around innit
            Correct - although according to that article many of the systems were MS Windows based and hadn't had security patches applied and some didn't have password protection.

Comment

Plenty of examples too of 'various government agencies' leaving default passwords or even anonymous accounts open on internet services, such as FTP.

What I find more interesting, is not so much how he did it, but how they detected and substantiated the activities.

Also this is yet another example of our spineless 'leaders' giving in to the bully and allowing extradition. This guy should have been tried in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Why would I be looking for evidence of UFOs...
                Trying to hide it more like!!!
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I'm imagining some kind of mincing hairdresser - geek freak hybrid.
                  Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                    Trying to hide it more like!!!
                    I'm sure our lizardy friend is more than capable of knocking up a Pinch of suitable capacity to erase anything incriminating if he needs to
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X