• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dopey Fools

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dopey Fools

Just over heard a conversation between a team leader and a techie.

They have a remote site where the server keeps restarting apparently because the UPS is signalling that it is overloaded.

Their solution.....

Disable the Exchange service running on that server bacause it will then use less power and the UPS will no longer be overloaded.

I feel sorry for the chumps who paid for the support.

I've worked for companies where they'd just take the UPS out of the equation in that situation. "Problem solved, tea anyone?"
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Not knowing anything about what you're talking about, I'm curious to know, what is the solution then ?

Comment

UPS are very overloaded by us, delivery is always late

Comment

Originally posted by bellymonster View Post
          Just over heard a conversation between a team leader and a techie.

They have a remote site where the server keeps restarting apparently because the UPS is signalling that it is overloaded.

Their solution.....

Disable the Exchange service running on that server bacause it will then use less power and the UPS will no longer be overloaded.

I feel sorry for the chumps who paid for the support.
          So you're saying that a lightly loaded server consumes the same amount of power as heavily loaded one?

Interesting!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

A (permie) PM's solution to a similar problem on a previous project of mine was even simpler. He switched the UPS to bypass and hoped nobody noticed...
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              So you're saying that a lightly loaded server consumes the same amount of power as heavily loaded one?

Interesting!
              No, of course I'm not saying that.
              But if your UPS falls over because you want to run Exchange dont you think it would be time to buy a bigger UPS.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                Not knowing anything about what you're talking about, I'm curious to know, what is the solution then ?

I don't know what he's talking about either (in that I can't see what's so bad about the proposed solution - I assume that it will limit some functionality, but then so does the server re-booting every 5 minutes)

But if you do need this exchange server thingy (whatever it may be) I guess the real solution is to spend some money and get a bigger UPS.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                  A plaster cast only does any good if you set the bone first.

The solution is to provide a solution, not find a way of ignoring the problem.
                  Last edited by NickFitz; 31 July 2008, 03:43.

Comment

all sounds very technical and geeky to me

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X