• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tough on crime, tough on the causes....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough on crime, tough on the causes....

..... and how to make look like crime is falling by issuing cautions or 'on the spot fines' for shoplifting and violent offences.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7534337.stm

Liked this quote from the article:
    "Another solicitor who works with the Ministry of Justice described the system as "staggering and deranged". "
    That should be Labours election slogan.
    Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      How odd that it should be the defence solicitors complaining...
      Indeed - what a joke that the Courts are complaining about falling workload - I bet if I searched the archives there would be an article with them whining about lack of resources.

Don't forget that the legal system - Courts, everything, is run by Lawyers (including judges who are all either ex or current lawyers) - they aren't interested in justice or punishment, they are worried about falling income.

Comment

"NOT Tough on crime, NOT tough on the causes...."

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          Indeed - what a joke that the Courts are complaining about falling workload - I bet if I searched the archives there would be an article with them whining about lack of resources.

Don't forget that the legal system - Courts, everything, is run by Lawyers (including judges who are all either ex or current lawyers) - they aren't interested in justice or punishment, they are worried about falling income.
          On the radio this morning it was said that a while ago the courts were swamped and wanted a means to reduce the workload. This was what they got. It was also stated that the effects of this are

1 - Police hit their ratgets because the caution the dish out counts as a conviction on their targets.
          2 - the fewer cases going to court do so on a charge that is less than it should have been - so conviction rates go up.
          3 - people see it as being pointless calling the police because nothing will get done and so they fail to report things - so crime falls.

It's all just one big con. Crime isn't falling, it's just the percentage which gets reported gets treated less harshly and is counted as being less serious.

I think this report is good because it debunks the myth that crime is falling.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
          X