• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT, from standard to flat rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT, from standard to flat rate

Hi all, new poster here.

Quick question, I have an existing Ltd company which is registered for VAT. I wish to use this company to put my contract through. The question is, is it possible to change the VAT scheme to that of flat rate ?

Cheers
    LL

Originally posted by Lazylobster View Post
    Hi all, new poster here.

Quick question, I have an existing Ltd company which is registered for VAT. I wish to use this company to put my contract through. The question is, is it possible to change the VAT scheme to that of flat rate ?

Cheers
    LL
    Yes, just fill in the form or write to the Flat Rate office at HMRC Grimsby!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazylobster View Post
      Hi all, new poster here.

Cheers
      LL
      Yes.

EDIT.

Actually, provided that your company meets the requirements, but if you are a one man band you would have to be on a very high daily rate to be exceeding the upper limit - about £160,000 vatable supplies if my memory serves me correctly.
      Last edited by Gonzo; 2 August 2008, 16:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        Yes.

EDIT.

Actually, provided that your company meets the requirements, but if you are a one man band you would have to be on a very high daily rate to be exceeding the upper limit - about £160,000 vatable supplies if my memory serves me correctly.
        I thought it was £67k was the minimum legal requirement to compulsory register for VAT (incl. Flat Rate). I've registered and my expected annual returns would be £63k. If I am wrong, please can someone point me in the right direction so that I can raise this with my accountant?
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Gonzo was talking about the upper limit. If you go above this then you are not allowed on the FRS
          Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
            Gonzo was talking about the upper limit. If you go above this then you are not allowed on the FRS
            My apology, I misread it completely.
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

It's actually a bit more complex than that but better for us - if, when you register, you reasonably expect your first year revenue to be below the upper limt (e.g. your contract rate over 220 days i below it) you can go on the FRS - if you later bill more than the lower limit (because you got a big rate hike or did more days, etc.) you can stay on it until you hit another threshold (which IIRC is around £500K).

Comment

Good news, thanks to all for the advice

LL

Comment

Just for completeness, the upper limit for being on the Flat Rate scheme is £150,000 excluding the VAT.

Comment

...and dont forget, when you start on the FRS you receive a 1% 'complimentary' reduction on your VAT for the first 12 months...now, isnt that nice of them!

Comment

Working...
                    X