• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Only of relevance to people with iPhones

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anybody recommend any worthwhile utilities for contractors to download from the iTunes store for their iPhones?

I found this one called Nexonia, for handling expenses. However, it requires a ten dollar monthly subscription and might only be of use in the United States.

http://www.nexonia.com/en/iphone.html
    Last edited by HermanDune; 1 August 2008, 18:15. Reason: found more info

Can you jailbreak the new iPhones? Install installer, I've got a number of contractor friendly apps installed including:

scientific calculator
    iPlot
    AFPd - makes your phone as a server so visible in finder
    Converter - amazingly useful anything from weight to temperature to currency
    Sketches - forget the back of a fag packet this little app allows me to draw with my finger and e-mail the drawing. Practical.
    Tech dictionary -
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

iPhone 3g can be jailbroken now i.e. you can install non App Store apps. It is a non-trivial process, you can see the details here I've not done it yet as I havn't found an app I want enough to make it worth the risk and effort.

TBH The iPhone does everything I want right now. There are a few extra's I'd like to see like flash support in the browser and proper cut and paste when editing text. A fully implemented BlueTooth stack would be nice as well.

But non of those actually stop me doing anything atm so I'm not too bothered about it.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Don't download Here I Am

It really seems to use up the battery. I charged mine up the previous night and it was down to the red bar by 4pm. I switched it off and removed it during synching when I got home. That got me back in the green zone.

Here I Am is an app that broadcasts your location to whoever you choose.

Comment

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
          It really seems to use up the battery. I charged mine up the previous night and it was down to the red bar by 4pm. I switched it off and removed it during synching when I got home. That got me back in the green zone.

Here I Am is an app that broadcasts your location to whoever you choose.
          Depends on what you do. Downloading / Watching video on 3G will drain the battery worst. Using GPS is next, then Bluetooth. Just use it as a phone and the battery life is fine. I just charge mine every night anyway.

Any app that is broadcasting continuesley over the 3G connection will drain the battery really fast.

Comment

On my first gen phone (jailbroken and unlocked) I had an app called NemusSync which did wireless sync with my gmail calendar/contacts. On site at the client I have a rule set up that will forward all meeting requests to my gmail account which automatically adds them to my google calendar, then with NemusSync I have an up to date calendar on the phone.

Can't get NemusSync for the 3g phone yet, I was hoping the author would put it in the app store, but as I'm now legit and have a price plan including data I can just use the online calendar instead. If o2 would ever get their thumbs out of their... ahem. Why does it take an age to transfer a number? I gave them the PAC code on Wednesday last week..

Comment

Sorry, I don't have an iPhone, so I can't help you.

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom View Post
                Sorry, I don't have an iPhone, so I can't help you.
                Back into the darkness with you, Heathen!

Comment

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
                  Can anybody recommend any worthwhile utilities for contractors to download from the iTunes store for their iPhones?
                  iPint, bubble wrap, light sabre, flashlight.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Depends on what you do. Downloading / Watching video on 3G will drain the battery worst. Using GPS is next, then Bluetooth. Just use it as a phone and the battery life is fine. I just charge mine every night anyway.

Any app that is broadcasting continuesley over the 3G connection will drain the battery really fast.
                    I disable the Wireless and Bluetooth during the day. If you are not using them (i dont have any accessbile wifi at work) it is a good idea.

I think beaconing on the wifi all day lookin for networks seems to drain a lot of battery too!

Cheers,

Tim.

Comment

Working...
                    X