• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't win....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't win....

Went down to Bristol today (just returned) took a taxi to the client's site once I arrived. The taxi driver could barely utter a word of English; my trying to explain to him where I wanted to go was testing me to the limits.

On the way back to the airport I got a driver who spoke the queens English without a problem, but would he shut up!!!!!

Bristol, my advise - don't do it.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Went down to Bristol today (just returned) took a taxi to the client's site once I arrived. The taxi driver could barely utter a word of English; my trying to explain to him where I wanted to go was testing me to the limits.
    Was he Glaswegian?

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole View Post
      Was he Glaswegian?
      He was probably from over the channel i.e. Welsh.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

He was probably hitting on you.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          He was probably from over the channel i.e. Welsh.
          You mean the True British?
          Don't forget foreigners, you are just squatting in our lands.
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            You mean the True British?
            Don't forget foreigners, you are just squatting in our lands.
            Aboriginal British

It cracked me up when I first read that a couple of years ago.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Comment

There are no aboriginal British left, what most very old Welsh and Scottish and Cornish families have is Celtic ancestry and the Celts were invaders that were later pushed West and North by subsequent invasions.

People wobble on about having Anglo Saxon heritage but the Angles invaded from Southern Denmark and the Saxons from Saxony in what's now Germany.

The British population is a mongrel conglomeration resulting from invasions from Europe over an awfully long time with the last military one being conducted by the Norman French who were in fact originally from Scandanavia.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                The British population is a mongrel conglomeration...
                Yes, I fully agree. That is why the nationalist/racists have no basis. However, that is not justification for the unlimited immigration policy either.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  There are no aboriginal British left, what most very old Welsh and Scottish and Cornish families have is Celtic ancestry and the Celts were invaders that were later pushed West and North by subsequent invasions.

People wobble on about having Anglo Saxon heritage but the Angles invaded from Southern Denmark and the Saxons from Saxony in what's now Germany.

The British population is a mongrel conglomeration resulting from invasions from Europe over an awfully long time with the last military one being conducted by the Norman French who were in fact originally from Scandanavia.
                  Pedant

We were here before you lot.

Give us back our property you land-grabbing thieving johnny come lately's; and bog off back to France with the other sheep burners.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    Yes, I fully agree. That is why the nationalist/racists have no basis. However, that is not justification for the unlimited immigration policy either.
                    Course you do! kissass English type person.

I break wind in your general direction

Comment

Working...
                    X