• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The worst shopping experience of my life - on audio tape !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The worst shopping experience of my life - on audio tape !

I went to a large department store in London today to pick up some new designer trousers (200 quids worth) that I had bought last week with my credit card. I was picking them up because last week in the same store that I paid for them, I requested (and paid for) an alteration for these trousers .. 2 inches on the waist extra (as they were the largest size off the peg and wouldn't fit me) and the length needed adjusting. (I'm not a large size btw).

So today as I was collecting the trousers in the same store that I had paid for them I was asked by the assistant to try them on, I put them on in the shop and the pants ripped around the waist therefore.. ruining them... I thought to myself .. have I gained so much weight in just 7 days ? NO, the in-shop adjusters hadn't modified the BLOODY WAIST ONLY THE LEG, it transpired that the fitter / shop assistant who had attended me was an idiot who had not written down any instruction to the alteration department to adjust the trouser waist accordingly despite me asking him to do so about 3 times and him concurring.

From that point on it was a FARCE in trying to get a replacement set of trousers free of charge; I got the old fobbing off from a couple of floor managers:

"Are you sure you asked him to modify the waist sir ?" (the pants were obviously far too tight as they were - who would have bought / sold them),

"Oh sir let me just ring the sales assistant that dealt with you last week, we will see what he says, we will have to find his contact number on the computer up stairs" (as if he is going to remember or admit that he made a 200 quid mistake),

"Sir the adjustment note that you have has no mention of a waist adjustment and that is a contractual agreement between yourselves and us" (the adjustment notes were not decipherable - mostly illegible scribbles, they were trying to make me out to be some kind of liar.).

"Sir these are YOUR trousers and they were not like this when we took them down from the adjustments department". (this is after I refused to accept them and take them home).

"Sir can I go upstairs to see if they can repair them ?" (there was no bloody way that they could be repair it, the material was ripped and the lining was showing".

Finally after two hours of ARGUING with them I got a replacement pair of trousers, exactly the same free of charge with the proper alteration.

MY QUESTION TO YOU ALL ON THIS FORUM is as follows: I was so shocked at my bad treatment where they would not budge for a refund / exchange and they were trying to make out that it was my fault that I had not instructed the fitter to modify the waist when it WAS BLATANTLY obvious that they were far too tight for me .. THAT I DECIDED TO SECRETLY DIGITALLY TAPE THE WHOLE THING FROM A RECORDER THAT I PLUCKED OUT OF MY BAG.
    The real question is can I use this to somehow gain compensation for the bad way I was treated with customer service or would I in turn be incriminated sued for secretly taping this ordeal ? How if at all can sue them ?

I almost hit the blooming roof today.
    Last edited by eliquant; 1 August 2008, 23:29.

Why didn't you just go on a diet to lose the 2/3 inches off of your waist? that would've been a much easier solution

Comment

I completely agree with you - useless incompetant feckwits!

But on the other hand you could alternatively lose some weight you lardy lardy.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
        Why didn't you just go on a diet to lose the 2/3 inches off of your waist? that would've been a much easier solution
        You got me ALL WRONG I'm not fat ! the pair of trousers where a little too small for me !

No seriously, I was deeply SHOCKED at how this large London department store was trying to wash their hands of all incompetence and hand me the damaged goods and put the blame on me for some mis-communication error on my part. I hit the friggin roof and I am a man who doesn't lose his cool.

Now seriously I taped the conversation so should I try and complain about it or just put it on You Tube and flee the country ?

Comment

Wait a week, by then you'll have chilled, and never shop there again.

Not exactly a Sicilian vendetta, but it isn't worth dwelling on.

Comment

Yeah, put it on Youtube, together with some pictures of you naked so we can see how fat you are.

Comment

Couldn't read the entire post, too long. Saw the £200 paying for trousers bit though so you deserve what you got. Hopefully one day you will learn the value of money. HTH

Comment

Are you really a Richard Gere lookalike?

By the sound of your story I was thinking more of Richard Griffiths.

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/s/-/O/historyboyspic4.jpg

You should post the tape online just to embarrass the store.

Comment

There's nothing to be ashamed about eliquant. A lot of people can't buy clothes off the rack to fit their ample waists.

TimberWolf - Couldn't read the entire post, too long. Saw the £200 paying for trousers bit though so you deserve what you got. Hopefully one day you will learn the value of money. HTH
                  Don't be nasty TW. it costs considerably more for clothes in cases where excessive amounts of material/work is needed.
                  Try to show a little compassion for those that exceed what is considered to be Normal dimensions
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by HermanDune View Post
                    By the sound of your story I was thinking more of Richard Griffiths.

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/s/-/O/historyboyspic4.jpg

You should post the tape online just to embarrass the store.

Ok I'll let this one drop and won't take any further action.

btw: I don't know why but that photo above posted by HermanDune, why is it that I picture 'Sasguru' in my head looking like the person sat behind him on the motorbike ?

Comment

Working...
                    X