• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Martial arts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martial arts

Talk of superhuman powers seems to crop up readily in conversations involving martial arts, including anecdotal reports of women beating up men. Are there any supportable and verifiable facts suggesting that a martial artist is any better a fighter than a street or any other type of fighter? Or that martial art women can beat up men (I'm talking about proprer men here)?

I’ve seen a couple of videos of cage fighting (obviously not women fighting men) where contenders of various disciplines fight under few rules until there is a clear winner. Boxers, wrestlers, Hong Kung Fuey, you name it. These fights progressed quickly to the floor IIRC and the ‘grapplers’ won the competition a few years running.

The question is how do you think a Hong Kong Fuey expert (or equivalent oriental sounding art) would do in a street fight against someone that can fight for real?

My feeling is that martial art powers are too stupid to discuss to be honest, but some on here appear to think these bestow powers to leap twenty feet into the air screaming yeeeaaahhh and doing unspeakable things to the victim before he can blink, etc. Even women against men. In practise their powers appear to be somewhat much more limited.

Forgot to add a poll, see duplicate post.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Talk of superhuman powers seems to crop up readily in conversations involving martial arts, including anecdotal reports of women beating up men. Are there any supportable and verifiable facts suggesting that a martial artist is any better a fighter than a street or any other type of fighter? Or that martial art women can beat up men (I'm talking about proprer men here)?

I’ve seen a couple of videos of cage fighting (obviously not women fighting men) where contenders of various disciplines fight under few rules until there is a clear winner. Boxers, wrestlers, Hong Kung Fuey, you name it. These fights progressed quickly to the floor IIRC and the ‘grapplers’ won the competition a few years running.

The question is how do you think a Hong Kong Fuey expert (or equivalent oriental sounding art) would do in a street fight against someone that can fight for real?

My feeling is that martial art powers are too stupid to discuss to be honest, but some on here appear to think these bestow powers to leap twenty feet into the air screaming yeeeaaahhh and doing unspeakable things to the victim before he can blink, etc. Even women against men. In practise their powers appear to be somewhat much more limited.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pJYYfr...eature=related
      Still Invoicing

Comment

That was so blatantly fixed, that it was embarrassing to watch.

take a look at the clinch, where he is flat tapping her side instead of punching

It's not the mighty woman at work here, it's the almighty dollar
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I think actually these martial arts do have techniques that enable you to fight better, techniques that wouldn´t be admissable in a boxing match. For example in Karate you learn to put your foot behind the opponent and push him over. Once you have your opponent on the ground, he´s finished, because the next move is to kick him in the head. Very simple and effective trick that works with anyone however big he is, who isn´t familar with Karate. Judo probably has a lot techniques as well I presume that would catch anyone out not familiar with them. So yes I can see how a puny woman could beat the cr*p out of someone who isn´t trained in fighting.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Shh, stop spoi....

Oh I can't be botherd to write it a 3rd time
            Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
              Shh, stop spoi....

Oh I can't be botherd to write it a 3rd time

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Forgot to add a poll, see duplicate post.
                Why not use thread tools to add a poll?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  I've got that feeling of deja vu again again.
                  Is it groundhog day?

Comment

When I did Aiki Jitsu the sensai always used to say he was so much more powerful as he used his core strength. I always assumed this was something to do with centre of gravity - now I reckon it is core muscles as used in pilates.

Comment

Working...
                    X