• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Martial Arts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martial Arts

Talk of superhuman powers seems to crop up readily in conversations involving martial arts, including anecdotal reports of women beating up men. Are there any supportable and verifiable facts suggesting that a martial artist is any better a fighter than a street or any other type of fighter? Or that martial art women can beat up men (I'm talking about proprer men here)?

I’ve seen a couple of videos of cage fighting (obviously not women fighting men) where contenders of various disciplines fight under few rules until there is a clear winner. Boxers, wrestlers, Hong Kung Fuey, you name it. These fights progressed quickly to the floor IIRC and the ‘grapplers’ won the competition a few years running.

The question is how do you think a Hong Kong Fuey expert (or equivalent oriental sounding art) would do in a street fight against someone that can fight for real?

My feeling is that martial art powers are too stupid to discuss to be honest, but some on here appear to think these bestow powers to leap twenty feet into the air screaming yeeeaaahhh and doing unspeakable things to the victim before he can blink, etc. Even women against men. In practise their powers appear to be somewhat much more limited.
    Yes, while there is some fact there is a greater amount of fiction spoken
    33.33%
    No, and the fancier and more oriental the martial art name the greater their powers
    16.67%
    No, a martial artist woman could even beat up a man
    16.67%
    AndyW is p1ss artist
    33.33%

The discipline and knowledge of vulnerable points, coupled with repetition that instils muscle memory/reaction-action, gives a well trained martial artist a distinct advantage of the untrained street fighter.

There is however a lot of myth involved with the arts. A dedicated and experienced black belt Karate etc. expert; is still governed by the laws of physics. a 7 stone female Black belt is not (except by pure luck) going to defeat a 15 stone street fighter.
    I was for many years a dedicated martial artist. I fought full contact Freestyle for a few seasons in my younger days (and received a few beatings as well as gave a few) but have never witnessed a mismatched size fight where the equally experienced but lighter/smaller opponent has defeated the larger/heavier.
    The strike poundage comparison is evidence in itself. The strike poundage of an experienced average sized female is considerably less than an average sized inexperienced male.
    All of the movie carp that shows the Martial artist female destroying the males in a series of stunning and spectacular moves is just that - Carp.
    Outweighed and understrength; the male would simply grab the female (taking a few stinging blows probably) and knock her senseless.

>awaits response from female posters<
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Talk of superhuman powers seems to crop up readily in conversations involving martial arts, including anecdotal reports of women beating up men. Are there any supportable and verifiable facts suggesting that a martial artist is any better a fighter than a street or any other type of fighter? Or that martial art women can beat up men (I'm talking about proprer men here)?

I’ve seen a couple of videos of cage fighting (obviously not women fighting men) where contenders of various disciplines fight under few rules until there is a clear winner. Boxers, wrestlers, Hong Kung Fuey, you name it. These fights progressed quickly to the floor IIRC and the ‘grapplers’ won the competition a few years running.

The question is how do you think a Hong Kong Fuey expert (or equivalent oriental sounding art) would do in a street fight against someone that can fight for real?

My feeling is that martial art powers are too stupid to discuss to be honest, but some on here appear to think these bestow powers to leap twenty feet into the air screaming yeeeaaahhh and doing unspeakable things to the victim before he can blink, etc. Even women against men. In practise their powers appear to be somewhat much more limited.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pJYYfr...eature=related
      Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
        The discipline and knowledge of vulnerable points, coupled with repetition that instils muscle memory/reaction-action, gives a well trained martial artist a distinct advantage of the untrained street fighter.

There is however a lot of myth involved with the arts. A dedicated and experienced black belt Karate etc. expert; is still governed by the laws of physics. a 7 stone female Black belt is not (except by pure luck) going to defeat a 15 stone street fighter.
        I was for many years a dedicated martial artist. I fought full contact Freestyle for a few seasons in my younger days (and received a few beatings as well as gave a few) but have never witnessed a mismatched size fight where the equally experienced but lighter/smaller opponent has defeated the larger/heavier.
        The strike poundage comparison is evidence in itself. The strike poundage of an experienced average sized female is considerably less than an average sized inexperienced male.
        All of the movie carp that shows the Martial artist female destroying the males in a series of stunning and spectacular moves is just that - Carp.
        Outweighed and understrength; the male would simply grab the female (taking a few stinging blows probably) and knock her senseless.

>awaits response from female posters<
        Agreed.
        The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

I refer you to my post in another thread:

That was so blatantly fixed, that it was embarrassing to watch.

take a look at the clinch, where he is flat tapping her side instead of punching

It's not the mighty woman at work here, it's the almighty dollar

Comment

take a look at the clinch, where he is flat tapping her side instead of punching

And I refer you to my response on the other thread:

Shhh, stop spoiling my Saturday trolling....
            Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
              And I refer you to my response on the other thread:

Shhh, stop spoiling my Saturday trolling....

Comment

Yeah, pulled punches that also miss

Comment

Working...
                X