• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lifestyle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lifestyle

Hi
    Being a contractor I think there's 3 different lifstyles you can lead:

1. Spend it all
    2. Spend only your £40k salary
    3. Live like a student, only slightly posher

which one are you?

I do not accept the premise of the question.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      I do not accept the premise of the question.
      do elaborate

Comment

I generally spend half of it - that's above £40k...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

ok I'll make another category

1. spend it all
          2a. spend 75%
          2b. spend 50%
          3. spend 40k
          4. spend like a student

Comment

Like a student. Hence I'm working at twenty to one on a Monday morning.

Comment

You're so obviously not married
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                Like a student. Hence I'm working at twenty to one on a Monday morning.
                I didn't realise this was a positive lifestyle choice - I thought I'd just fallen into it...
                The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

I live the way I've always lived, except that now I can afford it.

However, I'm not sure I want to do it anymore.

But then I go into town on a Tuesday lunchtime... look at them all

You only have to look at the general populace on a Tuesday lunchtime to know that not being one of them is all you need from life

Comment

Student life for me, albeit with a car a bit better than the mini-traveller I had then.
                    I don't particularly like working (or rather I seldom like the contracts I end up with) so the way I figure it is if I can save a bundle then I can pick up a house almost outright in a nice area (Bournemouthish) when they're selling for diddly and then look around for a job I want to do.

Providing it pulls in more than 50K a year I'll be aright and I can always be on the look out for the "big thing" that will make me a wealthy man.

I do, however, sometimes splash out based on the thought, x Euros, blimey I earn that in a few hours, I'll take it (this is especially true when alcohol is involved!). Normally though I think, hey I'm lucky to be paid 4 times more than a permy doing the same job, I really should squirrel this away before someone notices and the gravy train stops.

Comment

Working...
                    X