• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When to change from brolly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to change from brolly

I really want to go limited, should I wait until Apr 08?

Also, anyone have feedback on Nixon Williams or SJD Accountancy - would love to hear from anyone who has used both, how do they compare on costs and service (can't find costs from SJD's website)

Originally posted by juliehendry View Post
    I really want to go limited, should I wait until Apr 08?

Also, anyone have feedback on Nixon Williams or SJD Accountancy - would love to hear from anyone who has used both, how do they compare on costs and service (can't find costs from SJD's website)
    Unless you plan to use some sort of time travel machine, I wouldn't bother. :P

It doesn't matter when you start your ltd company. Your year end is typically 12 months from formation. You may be able to change the year end (not sure how long by), but it may not be worth the hassle.

I don't have any specific feedback regarding NW or SJD, but a search may be worth while.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      Unless you plan to use some sort of time travel machine, I wouldn't bother. :P

It doesn't matter when you start your ltd company. Your year end is typically 12 months from formation. You may be able to change the year end (not sure how long by), but it may not be worth the hassle.

I don't have any specific feedback regarding NW or SJD, but a search may be worth while.
      Wrong, it makes a huge difference when you start trading via a limited company (although not sure you have even understood the question). If you do it before April 09, you can then pay dividends in 2008/2009 personal tax year and take advantage of the tax break this affords. If you want to go limited, do it at the earliest available opportunity.

Comment

Agree with above, no benefit at all from starting your business at financial year end as financial year end is 5th April and you will end up with a company year end of either 31st March or 30th April anyway.

Also have no experience of NW or SJD, but if you are looking at those 2 then I would recomend looking at Upton Accountants as well, much the same service and similar pricing by all accounts.
        Phone each one of them up and then go with the one you think best after that.
        Last edited by blacjac; 4 August 2008, 14:31.
        Still Invoicing

Comment

thanks for the quick replies. just one more question? I went contracting due a massive financial loss last year. can i take all my earnings out in some tax beneficial way so that i can continue to pay off debts incurred in moving back to the uk?

or put simply, can i take all my money each month or am i better staying brolly until my debt is clear?

Comment

thanks for the quick replies. just one more question? I went contracting due a massive financial loss last year. can i take all my earnings out in some tax beneficial way so that i can continue to pay off debts incurred in moving back to the uk?

or put simply, can i take all my money each month or am i better staying brolly until my debt is clear?

That is a very good example of what to ask each accountant before deciding which one to go with
            Still Invoicing

Comment

the latter imo. Start fresh with no debts hanging over you

Comment

As you've already done a few months this year, you can probably pay everything (after 21% corporation tax) as dividends only for the rest of the year, which are tax free up to the upper rate limit. If you go over the limit, you won't actually have to pay the tax until Jan 2010, meaning you can pay off more of your debts sooner as long as you're sure you can pay the tax when you need to.

You can also borrow some money off the company, as long as you can pay it back before the company year end, which is good for reducing debts.

Ask an accountant. Definitely one big advantage of going Ltd. is being able to fit the payments to your personal circumstances.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I have some personal debts (less than £10k in total) and have been able to start my own Ltd company (and opened a Business Bank Account). If you have a bad personal credit, then you may need to wait before your credit status changes to a more favourable one before starting your Ltd company. You may need to speak to a financial advisor / accountant beforehand to decide if you can or cannot start your own Ltd Company.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

luckily i have an excellent credit rating, i'm just the kind of person who isn't used to having debt and need to clear it before i am comfortable buying a home etc. down to about £12k so not overly bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X