• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

get out of support

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get out of support

8ys of 1st, 2nd touching on 3rd line support.

want to get out of it and move into something more exciting.

Any recommendations on an additional hot skill or area to learn?

Addin value to AAA rated CDO's
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post

Difficult one, put I would try and get a support role involving writing scripts i.e. push your operating system and play down the networking, that would get you into programming to some extent. Getting a pure developer role would be difficult.

You could go permie of course and just go in as new starter, learn completely new skills, .NET for example. Take a cut but in 2 years you'd be "experienced".

If you could actually get accepted on an open source project that would be a very good reference. It isn't actually easy to be accepted on one of these projects.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 4 August 2008, 15:03.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Difficult one, put I would try and get a support role involving writing scripts i.e. push your operating system and play down the networking, that would get you into programming to some extent. Getting a pure developer role would be difficult.

You could go permie of course and just go in as new starter, learn completely new skills, .NET for example. Take a cut but in 2 years you'd be "experienced".

If you could actually get accepted on an open source project that would be a very good reference. It isn't actually easy to be accepted on one of these projects.

Thanks, i really want to do something more challenging and creative. and networking doesnt tick that box. so you suggest trying to get into programming...... hmm that never really crossed my mind... and .NET is a very in demand skill to try and learn? If i learnt that what sort of roles would I be looking at.

Comment

If i learnt that what sort of roles would I be looking at.
          Roles in large cubicle clusters in large Indian off shore sites , by the time you learn it.

Comment

Roles in large cubicle clusters in large Indian off shore sites , by the time you learn it.
            Curry and beer on tap then?

Comment

Maybe get a job as "the IT person" in a small company. Then pursue whichever branch interests you most.

Comment

I wanted to move out of a particular technical area, and the easiest way was to gen up on UML and reinvent myself as a Business/Systems analyst. Never went on any courses, but managed to get myself a contract. Once I had done that, getting another contact was fairly easy.

Comment

UML wtf is that?

i'll have a read up on it.

also reading in the paper today that microsoft are toying with changing their OS's in future releases from the ground up and making them more web based, wonder how this will affect the desktop support industry because surely there will be implications (no software to install on PC's, less hardware spec).....less to do for the meagre desktop support technician.....

Comment

Lion taming!

Comment

Working...
                    X