• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HELP! Info on contrating in the UK needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Info on contrating in the UK needed

Hi all,

My name is Chantal, I’m an IT professional from the Netherlands. I have been offered a 6-month contracting position in London, which I’m about to accept.

I've been trying to figure out how much my net pay would be, but I'm truly clueless ... I can't seem to figure out when a contractor falls within or outside the IR35 Tax code. I can’t seem to find reliable info on the exact business expenses I may deduct either. It's all so vague and confusing, or is it just me? Can someone enlighten me please?

I've noticed that there are several employment benefits companies in the UK - which I'm unfamiliar with in the Netherlands. Apparently, they take all tax paper work out of your hands. I contacted one called Tarpon, which offered to do all tax paper work and so on, on a monthly basis against a fee (I was told “between 5% to 7%” of my net pay, but they couldn't give me an exact monthly figure.... Does anyone one have any experience with these types of companies?

What about starting up an own company, is that more tax/cost efficient?

As you can see, I'm very confused and I would appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Thanks alot,

Chantal

Working...
X