• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Commuting into Canary Wharf?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commuting into Canary Wharf?

Morning - first post from me.... and yes I have searched and asked an accountant already...

Been offered a great contract in Canary Wharf - wondering how people who do, do the commute from North/East London? I come into Liverpool St from M11/Essex corridor and Liverpool St->Canary Wharf seems a right @rse to me especially coming back in the evenings. Distint lack of direct trains into Stratford so the only other option for me is to drive down the M11 - what's the route - and more importantly parking - like round that way?

Thanks all.

I've never gone Southbound through the Blackwall in the mornings so couldn't say for certain, but one option would be to go through Blackwall - & park at O2 & tube to Canary

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by nalpassage View Post
      Morning - first post from me.... and yes I have searched and asked an accountant already...

Been offered a great contract in Canary Wharf - wondering how people who do, do the commute from North/East London? I come into Liverpool St from M11/Essex corridor and Liverpool St->Canary Wharf seems a right @rse to me especially coming back in the evenings. Distint lack of direct trains into Stratford so the only other option for me is to drive down the M11 - what's the route - and more importantly parking - like round that way?

Thanks all.
      I used to live in Sawbridgeworth. I started off walking from Liverpool St to Bank and getting the DLR, then I started taking my bike on the train and cycling from Liverpool St. Ended up driving down.

Driving is the only direct option. You have to go in early otherwise you have a bottleneck at the end of the M11. Coming home it doesn't matter which way you go A12 or A13 - they'll both be bad but I would tend to go via the A13 and up the A406 as getting through the lights onto the A12 can be a real pain - and the A12 can be really slow up to the Redbridge roundabout as well. Parking never used to be an issue; there were lots of satellite car parks on the Isle of Dogs for around £8 per day then - I would guess that you'd be able to find somewhere for around £15 and walk into Canary Wharf.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Hi, Another first Poster - been reading this board for years - very usefull - Thanks to all.

Anyhow - I'm currently working at Docklands area, near Coldharbour DLR - and drive in from mid Essex. Taking back roads to the M11, A406 then A13 parking at a NCP place just off Marsh Wall, near the roundabout with Preston Rd. £6 a day, and a 10min walk to work, but doing a 7:30 - 4:30 day, gives me a 50min door to door travelling time. We are now in School Holls and traffic does seem slightly calmer so take this into account.
        Also tried M25, A13 - but this gets stuck at Dagenham.
        I was trying the Tube via epping, and DLR to Coldharbour - over an hour each way and not fun in a cramp tube when we had summer.

Hope this helps,

Comment

Originally posted by nalpassage View Post

Thanks all.
          Depends which bit, but I used to take the Jubillee out to Canning Town and get the DLR back in (only two stops in my case, so not much of a pain). Much quicker from Liverpool St than trying to get to the DLR. directly. Of course, the Jubilee also stops at Canary Wharf proper on the way...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Very useful for me too, thanks all. Car it is then. Britain "does" public transport well, ho hum.

Comment

Park at Redbridge

Comment

I don't work at Canary Wharf but I do live there. The one thing that I would add is that if you are parking nearby then you would be best to do the hours that Smith mentions above.

Clear off well before 5pm. Most days the traffic is just very busy between 5pm and 7pm but it only takes one accident in the Blackwall Tunnel to bring the entire Isle of Dogs to gridlock which can take a couple of hours to sort out.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
                  Park at Redbridge
                  Yep you can do that if you're going up the M11 - if you're going out on the A12 it's still quite slow all the way up to Romford at rush hour. And don't forget that it's 30 mins by tube from Redbridge to Canary Wharf. Two trains, and the more connections the more there is to go wrong/get stressed about.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

This thread reminds me why I don't contract in London any more.

Comment

Working...
                    X