• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did anyone understand Peter Jones on Dragons' Den?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone understand Peter Jones on Dragons' Den?

I was quite impressed when he had that technical discussion with the green PC guy. But I didn't understand the details... and obviously neither did the other dragons. Are we really back to using terminals on a central server again?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I was quite impressed when he had that technical discussion with the green PC guy. But I didn't understand the details... and obviously neither did the other dragons. Are we really back to using terminals on a central server again?
    Didnt see it but it soiunds like he was pitching thin client boxes. They are nothing new, Oracle tried it years ago and it flopped, Citrix and MS Terminal Services do it in software and there are still a couple of hardware suplliers who will sell you a thin client box if you really want it.

And yes, it's a step back towards the days of centralised processing and dumb terminals.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

windows RIP

has been reported for a while before this article..i guess he's just up with chatter..

Comment

I was excited by this thinking someone has developed a technology that allows the growing demand on the UK's energy supplies to be reduced - fantastic I thought.

The moment it was discovered nothing propriety existed in his brand he was shot down in flames.

Peter was right - he completely wasted their time. Pitches like this really wind me up.

The diesel/petrol adaptor how on earth was this not already been developed? I think there must be a thousand ideas like this floating around.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

what no flux capacitor?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            Just you wait until I show them my home fusion generator.
            I think it's the only safe option - you develop and release the details in this forum and the men in black coats from the oil company will be knocking on your door, then Zeigg no more
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Network Computing is what this fat server / thin client model was called if I remember correctly.

I believe the Dragons must receive information on the pitches prior to the show, and can therefore read up on suitable issues to discuss.

I doubt that PJ can hold much of a technical conversation ... with all due respect it's just not his forte.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                I doubt that PJ can hold much of a technical conversation ... with all due respect it's just not his forte.
                Bread for sale Can you be that sucessful and not have the technical knowledge to keep you standing at the top?

Comment

I assumed they edited it badly...they started debating thin client / dumb terminal out of nowhere...

Absolute useless twit though trying to pitch nothing but a BIOS and a label.

Comment

Go work for Sun. Desks full of thin client terminals. Save your session to the chip on your ID card, drive to Warwick, put the ID card in the desktop and carry on where you left off. Brilliant...

There's a school fit out going on near me. Talking to one of the PMs and he was saying his big headache is security of all those 90-odd PCs spread through the classrooms. "Why not use a blade server, VMWare and KVM's?" I said, "That way only screens and keyboards are out in the open, and you can control external access attempts through DVD/CD and USB". "What's VMWare?" was the reply...

I always said the worst thing that happened to IT was the 8086 chip and Gates. Without them we would be running proper multi-threaded OS's by now - bit like Apple were in the 80s - instead of MS bloatware.
                    Last edited by malvolio; 5 August 2008, 13:09.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X