• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Friday Poetry Corner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Poetry Corner

I don't know if you're alive or dead

I don't know if you're alive or dead.
    Can you on earth be sought,
    Or only when the sunsets fade
    Be mourned serenely in my thought?

All is for you: the daily prayer,
    The sleepless heat at night,
    And of my verses, the white
    Flock, and of my eyes, the blue fire.

No-one was more cherished, no-one tortured
    Me more, not
    Even the one who betrayed me to torture,
    Not even the one who caressed me and forgot.

Anna Akhmatova (1889 - 1966)

About the Poet Anna Akmatova

Anna Akhmatova is a pseudonym of ANNA ANDREYEVNA GORENKO (b. June 11 [June 23, New Style], 1889, Bolshoy Fontan, near Odessa, Ukraine, Russian Empire--d. March 5, 1966, Domodedovo, near Moscow), Russian poet recognized at her death as the greatest woman poet in Russian literature.

Akhmatova began writing verse at the age of 11 and at 21 became a member of the Acmeist group of poets, whose leader, Nikolay Gumilyov, she married in 1910 but divorced in 1918. The Acmeists, through their periodical Apollon ("Apollo"; 1909-17), rejected the esoteric vagueness and affectations of Symbolism and sought to replace them with "beautiful clarity," compactness, simplicity, and perfection of form--all qualities in which Akhmatova excelled from the outset. Her first collections, Vecher (1912; "Evening") and Chyotki (1914; "Rosary"), especially the latter, brought her fame.

While exemplifying the best kind of personal or even confessional poetry, they achieve a universal appeal deriving from their artistic and emotional integrity. Akhmatova's principal motif is love, mainly frustrated and tragic love, expressed with an intensely feminine accent and inflection entirely her own.

Later in her life she added to her main theme some civic, patriotic, and religious motifs but without sacrifice of personal intensity or artistic conscience.

Her artistry and increasing control of her medium were particularly prominent in her next collections: Belaya staya (1917; "The White Flock"), Podorozhnik (1921; "Plantain"), and Anno Domini MCMXXI (1922). This amplification of her range, however, did not prevent official Soviet critics from proclaiming her "bourgeois and aristocratic," condemning her poetry for its narrow preoccupation with love and God, and characterizing her as half nun and half harlot.

The execution in 1921 of her former husband, Gumilyov, on charges of participation in an anti-Soviet conspiracy (the Tagantsev affair) further complicated her position. In 1923 she entered a period of almost complete poetic silence and literary ostracism, and no volume of her poetry was published in the Soviet Union until 1940.

In that year several of her poems were published in the literary monthly Zvezda ("The Star"), and a volume of selections from her earlier work appeared under the title Iz shesti knig ("From Six Books").

A few months later, however, it was abruptly withdrawn from sale and libraries. Nevertheless, in September 1941, following the German invasion, Akhmatova was permitted to deliver an inspiring radio address to the women of Leningrad [St. Petersburg].

Evacuated to Tashkent soon thereafter, she read her poems to hospitalized soldiers and published a number of war-inspired lyrics; a small volume of selected lyrics appeared in Tashkent in 1943. At the end of the war she returned to Leningrad, where her poems began to appear in local magazines and newspapers.

She gave poetic readings, and plans were made for publication of a large edition of her works.

In August 1946, however, she was harshly denounced by the Central Committee of the Communist Party for her "eroticism, mysticism, and political indifference."

Her poetry was castigated as "alien to the Soviet people," and she was again described as a "harlot-nun," this time by none other than Andrey Zhdanov, Politburo member and the director of Stalin's program of cultural restriction. She was expelled from the Union of Soviet Writers; an unreleased book of her poems, already in print, was destroyed; and none of her work appeared in print for three years.

Then, in 1950, a number of her poems eulogizing Stalin and Soviet communism were printed in several issues of the illustrated weekly magazine Ogonyok ("The Little Light") under the title Iz tsikla "Slava miru" ("From the Cycle 'Glory to Peace' ").

This uncharacteristic capitulation to the Soviet dictator--in one of the poems Akhmatova declares: "Where Stalin is, there is Freedom, Peace, and the grandeur of the earth"--was motivated by Akhmatova's desire to propitiate Stalin and win the freedom of her son, Lev Gumilyov, who had been arrested in 1949 and exiled to Siberia. The tone of these poems (those glorifying Stalin were omitted from Soviet editions of Akhmatova's works published after his death) is far different from the moving and universalized lyrical cycle, Rekviem ("Requiem"), composed between 1935 and 1940 and occasioned by Akhmatova's grief over an earlier arrest and imprisonment of her son in 1937. This masterpiece--a poetic monument to the sufferings of the Soviet peoples during Stalin's terror--was published in Moscow in 1989.

In the cultural "thaw" following Stalin's death, Akhmatova was slowly and ambivalently rehabilitated, and a slim volume of her lyrics, including some of her translations, was published in 1958.

After 1958 a number of editions of her works, including some of her brilliant essays on Pushkin, were published in the Soviet Union (1961, 1965, two in 1976, 1977); none of these, however, contains the complete corpus of her literary productivity. Akhmatova's longest work, Poema bez geroya ("Poem Without a Hero"), on which she worked from 1940 to 1962, was not published in the Soviet Union until 1976. This difficult and complex work is a powerful lyric summation of Akhmatova's philosophy and her own definitive statement on the meaning of her life and poetic achievement.

Akhmatova executed a number of superb translations of the works of other poets, including Victor Hugo, Rabindranath Tagore, Giacomo Leopardi, and various Armenian and Korean poets. She also wrote sensitive personal memoirs on Symbolist writer Aleksandr Blok, the artist Amedeo Modigliani, and fellow Acmeist Osip Mandelstam.

In 1964 she was awarded the Etna-Taormina prize, an international poetry prize awarded in Italy, and in 1965 she received an honorary doctoral degree from Oxford University. Her journeys to Sicily and England to receive these honours were her first travel outside her homeland since 1912.

Akhmatova's works were widely translated, and her international stature continued to grow after her death. A two-volume edition of Akhmatova's collected works was published in Moscow in 1986, and The Complete Poems of Anna Akhmatova, also in two volumes, appeared in 1990.

Biography by: http://www.odessit.com
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 19 August 2005, 07:48.

Do not act unwillingly nor selfishly nor without self-examination, nor with divergent motives.
    Let no affectation veneer your thinking.
    Be neither a busy talker, nor a busybody.
    Moreover let the God within be the guardian of a real man, a man of ripe years,
    a statesman, a Roman, a magistrate, who has taken his post like one waiting for the Retreat to sound, ready to depart, needing no oath nor any man as witness.
    And see that you have gladness of face, no need of service from without nor the peace that other men bestow.
    You should stand upright, not be held upright.
    Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Babi Yar

Alf, nice Akmatova poem. The Russian Silver Age was a wonderful period for poetry.

From one of my favourite Russian poets...

No monument stands over Babi Yar.
      A drop sheer as a crude gravestone.
      I am afraid.
      Today I am as old in years
      as all the Jewish people.
      Now I seem to be
      a Jew.
      Here I plod through ancient Egypt.
      Here I perish crucified, on the cross,
      and to this day I bear the scars of nails.
      I seem to be
      Dreyfus.
      The Philistine
      is both informer and judge.
      I am behind bars.
      Beset on every side.
      Hounded,
      spat on,
      slandered.
      Squealing, dainty ladies in flounced Brussels lace
      stick their parasols into my face.
      I seem to be then
      a young boy in Byelostok.
      Blood runs, spilling over the floors.
      The barroom rabble-rousers
      give off a stench of vodka and onion.
      A boot kicks me aside, helpless.
      In vain I plead with these pogrom bullies.
      While they jeer and shout,
      "Beat the Yids. Save Russia!"
      some grain-marketeer beats up my mother.
      0 my Russian people!
      I know
      you
      are international to the core.
      But those with unclean hands
      have often made a jingle of your purest name.
      I know the goodness of my land.
      How vile these anti-Semites-
      without a qualm
      they pompously called themselves
      the Union of the Russian People!
      I seem to be
      Anne Frank
      transparent
      as a branch in April.
      And I love.
      And have no need of phrases.
      My need
      is that we gaze into each other.
      How little we can see
      or smell!
      We are denied the leaves,
      we are denied the sky.
      Yet we can do so much --
      tenderly
      embrace each other in a darkened room.
      They're coming here?
      Be not afraid. Those are the booming
      sounds of spring:
      spring is coming here.
      Come then to me.
      Quick, give me your lips.
      Are they smashing down the door?
      No, it's the ice breaking ...
      The wild grasses rustle over Babi Yar.
      The trees look ominous,
      like judges.
      Here all things scream silently,
      and, baring my head,
      slowly I feel myself
      turning gray.
      And I myself
      am one massive, soundless scream
      above the thousand thousand buried here.
      I am
      each old man
      here shot dead.
      I am
      every child
      here shot dead.
      Nothing in me
      shall ever forget!
      The "Internationale," let it
      thunder
      when the last anti-Semite on earth
      is buried forever.
      In my blood there is no Jewish blood.
      In their callous rage, all anti-Semites
      must hate me now as a Jew.
      For that reason
      I am a true Russian!

-Yevtushenko
      Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

The Tax Poem

Tax his land, tax his wage,
        Tax his bed in which he lays.
        Tax his tractor, tax his mule,
        Teach him taxes is the rule.

Tax his cow, tax his goat,
        Tax his pants, tax his coat.
        Tax his ties, tax his shirts,
        Tax his work, tax his dirt.

Tax his chew, tax his smoke,
        Teach him taxes are no joke.
        Tax his car, tax his grass,
        Tax the roads he must pass.

Tax his food, tax his drink,
        Tax him if he tries to think.
        Tax his sodas, tax his beers,
        If he cries, tax his tears.

Tax his bills, tax his gas,
        Tax his notes, tax his cash.
        Tax him good and let him know ,
        That after taxes, he has no dough.

If he hollers, tax him more,
        Tax him until he's good and sore.
        Tax his coffin, tax his grave,
        Tax the sod in which he lays.

Put these words upon his tomb,
        "Taxes drove me to my doom!"
        And when he's gone, we won't relax,
        We'll still be after the inheritance tax.

- Anonymous
        Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Friday Poem

I must go down to the sea again,
          To the bright blue sea and sky,
          I left my shoes and socks there,
          I wonder if there dry?

Spike Milligan

Comment