• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Painting radiators

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting radiators

Need to paint the radiators in the bungalow I am getting.

What is the preferred method?

1. Strip off the old paint, and repaint with special radiator paint?

2. Gloss

3. Undercoat, then gloss?

Buy shares in Dulux - they will be booming over the next couple of months...

Knock holes in the roof and burn wood in the centre of the room you wish to heat.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Knock holes in the roof and burn wood in the centre of the room you wish to heat.
      Had enough burning wood today (chipboard lorry fire on the M62 and 3 hours parked up....)

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
        Need to paint the radiators in the bungalow I am getting.

What is the preferred method?

1. Strip off the old paint, and repaint with special radiator paint?

2. Gloss

3. Undercoat, then gloss?

Buy shares in Dulux - they will be booming over the next couple of months...
        My sister works for the former ICI (its some Dutch company now) - you hgave just gone up in my estimation!

Comment

Depends if they've been painted many times before. If that’s the case (and they’re shabby), I’d change them for new ones, it's a lot less hassle.

The way gas bills are rising I'd also look at swapping the boiler for an A rated jobbie as well. I'm thinking of swapping mine next month as it's about 12 years old.

If you really want to paint them, I've taken two approaches in the past.

1) Rub down the radiator and simply paint them using radiator paint (don't use ordinary gloss as most paints turn yellow pretty quickly with the heat). Use an undercoat if they are anything other than white at the moment. I've also found the quick drying radiator paint is tulip.

2) Remove the radiators one at a time. Key the existing paint, prime and spray them in the garage. I used basic white car paint to do the last lot. They turned out pretty well with a really nice finish.

The big question on my mind is have you ordered a king size orthopaedic bed for your bungalow yet?

<<canned laughter>>
          Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
            Depends if they've been painted many times before. If that’s the case (and they’re shabby), I’d change them for new ones, it's a lot less hassle.

The way gas bills are rising I'd also look at swapping the boiler for an A rated jobbie as well. I'm thinking of swapping mine next month as it's about 12 years old.

If you really want to paint them, I've taken two approaches in the past.

1) Rub down the radiator and simply paint them using radiator paint (don't use ordinary gloss as most paints turn yellow pretty quickly with the heat). Use an undercoat if they are anything other than white at the moment. I've also found the quick drying radiator paint is tulip.

2) Remove the radiators one at a time. Key the existing paint, prime and spray them in the garage. I used basic white car paint to do the last lot. They turned out pretty well with a really nice finish.

The big question on my mind is have you ordered a king size orthopaedic bed for your bungalow yet?

<<canned laughter>>
            I actually have a queen sized ortho bed.....

Comment

Unless architecturally wonderful, bin 'em and buy new. Cheapskate!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
                Unless architecturally wonderful, bin 'em and buy new. Cheapskate!
                Permy

What he needs to do is find a contractor's house that's being done up, and get the discarded-but-perfectly-painted radiators out of the skip.

Comment

Rads are dirt cheap, but to be honest, go for a Baxi Duo-Tec 33 HE Combi Boiler, A rated. and have a complete new system installed with thermostatic valves on all rads.
                  I had one installed here in January and it's brilliant.

Don't forget to have your loft and cavity walls insulated on the government grant. Only about £150 for each. makes a hell of a difference and a big saving in heating costs.
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                    Don't forget to have your loft and cavity walls insulated on the government grant. Only about £150 for each. makes a hell of a difference and a big saving in heating costs.
                    Wish I could, but they don't cover pitched rooves in attics, only lofts and my house has a plastered attic and no cavity stone walls. I've looked into it in the last week and run into a brick wall (pun not intended).

Comment

Working...
                    X