• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you have faith in Science ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would you risk your life based upon your understanding of a scientific principle ?

my missus hates it when I put a hot pan in the plastic washing bowl, because it hisses and splutters. She thinks it might set fire to the bowl.

So I tries to explain that a paper bag, filled with water over a candle will not catch fire.
    The water will boil, but while there is water, the bag is ok.
    while there is stuff in the pan, the washing bowl is safe. She doesnt have faith.

Taking it to the extreme, would you have faith in a theory like this

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

In a way I have this faith whenever I get in a plane or a car. The idea of several tonnes of plane taking off and travelling at 500+ mph seems counter-intuitive on the face of it. It is easier to believe in when it's empirically proved all the time of course.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

would you risk your life based upon your understanding of a scientific principle ?

my missus hates it when I put a hot pan in the plastic washing bowl, because it hisses and splutters. She thinks it might set fire to the bowl.

So I tries to explain that a paper bag, filled with water over a candle will not catch fire.
      The water will boil, but while there is water, the bag is ok.
      while there is stuff in the pan, the washing bowl is safe. She doesnt have faith.

Taking it to the extreme, would you have faith in a theory like this

I'm a diver, faith in scientific principles (Boyle's law etc.) has kept me alive for many years
      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        In a way I have this faith whenever I get in a plane or a car. The idea of several tonnes of plane taking off and travelling at 500+ mph seems counter-intuitive on the face of it. It is easier to believe in when it's empirically proved all the time of course.
        Your instincts are correct the plane does not fly. When they lock the door they pump gas into the cabin to knock everyone out, then dump you on a bus to the destination. When you get there they put you on an identical plane and wake you up again.

It's obvious innit?

Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
          Your instincts are correct the plane does not fly. When they lock the door they pump gas into the cabin to knock everyone out, then dump you on a bus to the destination. When you get there they put you on an identical plane and wake you up again.

It's obvious innit?

hello dear (gulp) I didnt know you posted here. Just off to put the cats out

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
            When they lock the door they pump gas into the cabin to knock everyone out,

It's obvious innit?

I wish they would - I hate flying - never get a wink of sleep even when drugged.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
              I'm a diver, faith in scientific principles (Boyle's law etc.) has kept me alive for many years
              damn that boyle and his principles
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                hello dear (gulp) I didnt know you posted here. Just off to put the cats out

???
                Still Invoicing

Comment

for some, science has become a religion, especially junk-science, which is absurd

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
                    for some, science has become a religion, especially junk-science, which is absurd
                    Sasguru?
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X