• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House prices down 1.7% in July - Halifax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House prices down 1.7% in July - Halifax

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7546644.stm

The house price slump continued in July according to the latest monthly report from the Halifax.

The lender said prices fell another 1.7% last month, taking the annual rate of decline down from 6.1% to 8.8%.

The Halifax calculates that the average house in the UK is now worth £177,351, back to the value seen in June 2006.

The bank said demand from home buyers had been "significantly curbed" by the lack of mortgage funds, high prices and the squeeze on household finances.

Boomed!

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7546644.stm
    taking the annual rate of decline down from 6.1% to 8.8%.
    I wonder where this figure will sit by the end of the year? Prices are off by 10% since Jan, so I think new year should see annual rate of decline hit 20%.

Loverly jubbly.
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
      I wonder where this figure will sit by the end of the year? Prices are off by 10% since Jan, so I think new year should see annual rate of decline hit 20%.

Loverly jubbly.
      That's one big pickle you have there
      Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

That will still leave the "average" house price >£150k which is bloody silly.

Ok I'm in a good position re my house value and mortgage, but I've felt for quite a while that the property prices need a hefty readjustment so that people can afford to get a house without an insane debt burdon.

Comment

I can't see how everyone borrowing like mad to buy a house is any good for anyone

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
            I can't see how everyone borrowing like mad to buy a house is any good for anyone
            Yeah, cash only is the way forward.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
              It's good for banks.

Boomed! Borrow 10x your income for 50 years. You know it makes sense.

Comment

Where would we be if everyone could afford to buy a house without being in debt all their lives. Ruined that's where. Everyone would just stay at home winking. HTH.

Comment

I took out my mortgage with NR just over a year ago. However due to the fact the purchase took a long time to go through my 2 year fixed period ends in March next year. I'm faced with a difficult scenario. I haven't been contracting long enough for the majority of lenders to consider lending to me (most want three years) and the amount of mortgage I need scares off those that will.

I spoke to NR and they informed me they wont offer any new products to existing customers and once the period ends my mortgage repayment goes up by over 25% (based on todays base rate). At the moment, we're a bit unsure of what to do. Looks like we either have to bite the bullet and pay over the odds to stay in a house we're not that fond of, or sell up, loose some money and go into rented. We got a good deal on the house when we bought it which we though would always give us a bit of leeway if the prices fluctuated but it seems now as if all bets are off !!
                  It is better to be silent and thought of a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by NetworkNinja View Post
                    I took out my mortgage with NR just over a year ago. However due to the fact the purchase took a long time to go through my 2 year fixed period ends in March next year. I'm faced with a difficult scenario. I haven't been contracting long enough for the majority of lenders to consider lending to me (most want three years) and the amount of mortgage I need scares off those that will.

I spoke to NR and they informed me they wont offer any new products to existing customers and once the period ends my mortgage repayment goes up by over 25% (based on todays base rate). At the moment, we're a bit unsure of what to do. Looks like we either have to bite the bullet and pay over the odds to stay in a house we're not that fond of, or sell up, loose some money and go into rented. We got a good deal on the house when we bought it which we though would always give us a bit of leeway if the prices fluctuated but it seems now as if all bets are off !!
                    Buy lottery tickets.

Comment

Working...
                    X