• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

American history

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American history

There were probably a few token Englishmen in the film "The greatest Escape" but apparently in real life no Americans were involved in the actual escape or were actually in the prison camp

Digger' Dowling as played by Charles Bronsen died recently. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...at-Escape.html

I assume you mean the Great Escape film and American characters that I can remember were limited to 3.

Hilts the Cooler King (Steve McQueen)
    Henley the Scrounger (James Garner) who was supposed to be an Eagle Squadron pilot
    Some guy who hung around with Hilts whose name and actor I can't be bothered to look up

The rest appeared to be British and Commonwealth troops and apart from Bronson (Polish) and Coburn (Australian with a farcical accent) I don't remember any other American actors of note for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      I assume you mean the Great Escape film and American characters that I can remember were limited to 3.

Hilts the Cooler King (Steve McQueen)
      Henley the Scrounger (James Garner) who was supposed to be an Eagle Squadron pilot
      Some guy who hung around with Hilts whose name and actor I can't be bothered to look up

The rest appeared to be British and Commonwealth troops and apart from Bronson (Polish) and Coburn (Australian with a farcical accent) I don't remember any other American actors of note for that matter.
      I think you've just about covered just about everyone aside from the extras

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        There were probably a few token Englishmen in the film "The greatest Escape" but apparently in real life no Americans were involved in the actual escape or were actually in the prison camp

Digger' Dowling as played by Charles Bronsen died recently. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...at-Escape.html
        Like the more recent American movie about capturing an Enigma machine. All done (in the film) by Americans, despite the fact that the US wasn't even in the war at the time. Challenged on that, the director said, "It's fiction, for Chrissake!".

Thus showing that he does not know the difference between a fiction and a falsehood. Come to think of it, that might be a common American trait.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          Like the more recent American movie about capturing an Enigma machine. All done (in the film) by Americans, despite the fact that the US wasn't even in the war at the time. Challenged on that, the director said, "It's fiction, for Chrissake!".

Thus showing that he does not know the difference between a fiction and a falsehood. Come to think of it, that might be a common American trait.
          There is a disclaimer at the end of the film.

I had to watch that film (fracking mrs) and hated it. It’s also over the top PC with the racially integrated crew and their hatred of the Nazi’s.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            There is a disclaimer at the end of the film.
            Oh, what does that say? We know that this was really done by the Brits, but we made it Americans because American audiences wouldn't bother going to see it if it wasn't about American heroes, so we wouldn't take in so much?

Comment

Although the Americans did capture an Enigma machine after the one captured by HMS Bulldog.

I'm not sure why we are surprised really. Films are for entertainment - no doubt there are some British films with dubious historical accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Oh, what does that say?
                Something like...

OK so the Brits captured the first one...
                ...BUT THEN WE CAPTURED ONE LATER SO IN YOUR FACE! AMERICA, F**K YEAH!
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-571_(...torical_events (Usual disclaimer regarding wikipedia accuracy applies).
                Last edited by voodooflux; 7 August 2008, 11:58.
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by M_B View Post
                  no doubt there are some British films with dubious historical accuracy.
                  Yep, I remember one British film that portrayed Barbara Windsor as having a massive pair of norks, when in actual fact one is slightly larger than the other

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

If you think thats bad you should see Escape to Victory ...Sly Stallone on the same pitch as the great Bobby Moore, let alone Pele and Ossy Ardiles, I'm not sure why they were there? But at least they knew what football was.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X