• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

sky plus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sky plus

Have had sky plus a while now and just wondering how much power the bloody thing uses, Even when its on standby you can hear the hard drive working?

Anyone every tested it?

I would turn it off at the mains but then it takes 5mins to boot up again!
    l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
    Have had sky plus a while now and just wondering how much power the bloody thing uses, Even when its on standby you can hear the hard drive working?

Anyone every tested it?

I would turn it off at the mains but then it takes 5mins to boot up again!
    I have HD and can't hear a thing on my system. Maybe you have a dud?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      I hear my HD box occasionally - normally when the kids have stacked a load of DVDs/games on top of it and it starts to get hot.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Mine is just plus, not HD. So when you turn if off (stand by) it's silent?
        l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

Yeah, pretty sure ours is silent when in standby. I'll check later...
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I hear mine occasionally, but mostly it's silent whether it's doing anything or not. My NAS is worse, the fan seems to run constantly on that.

Of course "standby" might mean it's recording two programmes, so I would imagine most of the device is still active in "standby" and it just switches off the output.

I've got mine resting on some bits of folded up carboard just to increase the air flow underneath, following advice I read somewhere.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I turn it off every night and am pretty sure it is silent. Certainly its never been loud enough to bug me.

Comment

I turn it off every night and am pretty sure it is silent. Certainly its never been loud enough to bug me.
                Mine wasn't until I swapped the drive for a nice noisy 500gb one
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...d.php?t=504784

One of the many exciting things Santa brought me was a plug in mains power & energy monitor (from maplins), so after worrying about the fridge, freezer, tumble dryer etc I connected it to the sky+ box, (pace V2 with a Samsung 250 & constant running fan).

For those of you who care, here are the results;

in standby it draws 13W / 23VA, PF 0.57.
                  Normal watching- no recording 20W / 30VA, PF0.67.
                  Recording 2 watching a third 23W / 34VA, PF0.68
                  Switching IR on or off made no difference (<0.1W)
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                  X